Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Trolley decommissioning begins


Trolley decommissioning begins


In just a few weeks the last trolley bus will retire, as the era of the Wellington icon comes to an end.

Greater Wellington’s Chairperson for the Sustainable Transport Committee, Councillor Barbara Donaldson says she will be sad to see the trolley buses go but she is looking forward to Metlink’s new modern buses providing improved services from mid next year.

“The trolley buses have been part of the fabric of Wellington for over sixty years and are as Wellington as the Beehive and Cable Car. It’s going to be sad to not see them travelling our streets anymore but Wellington is growing and Metlink has to grow with it, by creating a new better service for public transport users and investing in the future, not holding onto the past.”

Greater Wellington Regional Council voted in 2014 to stop funding the trolleys as part of a plan to modernise the region’s bus fleet. New diesel and electric buses will begin service in July 2018 – at the same time as new bus operator contracts and an overhauled Wellington city network come into effect. Greater Wellington’s eventual goal is an all-electric fleet.

Power to the network will be shut off at the end of services on 31 October (around 11pm).

“Wellingtonians should see no change to services as the trolley buses are replaced with diesel buses by November 1. The bus services will continue along the same route as the trolleys on the same timetable,” says Cr Donaldson.

“The interim buses are relatively new – between four and eight years old – and most meet the Euro 5 emission standard. The world’s most stringent standard is Euro 6.”
ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Bridges’ ‘Meth Crooks’ Leadership Failure

Back in June, Bridges publicly accepted that Housing NZ had got it wrong, and that the National government had acted upon bad advice.

Now, you’d think this admission would create a broad bi-partisan basis for compensation to those families who had been unfairly evicted, at considerable cost and emotional distress. Some people had lost their possessions in trying to meet the expense of the upheaval.

Not everyone felt so compassionate. More>>

 

America's Cup: Environment Court Grants Consents

Auckland Mayor Phil Goff says, “I welcome today’s decision by the Environment Court to grant consent for the bases and associated infrastructure to host the 36th America’s Cup." More>>

ALSO:

Medical: New Surgical Mesh Safeguards

The Government has introduced strict new safeguards on the use of surgical mesh that are expected to limit its use in urogynaecological surgery. More>>

ALSO:

Handley Handling: Fired Chief Technology Officer Releases Communications

In the interests of drawing a line on this issue, today I am releasing a detailed timeline of events and all of the emails and texts between myself and Clare Curran, and myself and the Prime Minister about the role and my move back to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Multimedia & Transcript: Acting PM's Press Conference

Winston Peters, Acting Prime Minister while Jacinda Ardern is in New York for the UN Leaders' Week, held a short press conference Monday after chairing this week's cabinet meeting. More>>

General Assembly: Ardern Rejects Trump Call For War On Drugs

New Zealand will not be signing the United States' document calling for global action on the war on drugs, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says. Ms Ardern is in New York for the United Nations General Assembly this week, along with about 140 other world leaders. More>>

ALSO:

Pay Equity: Cabinet Funds Deal For Oranga Tamariki Social Workers

The Minister said that an agreement in principle has been reached between Oranga Tamariki and the PSA on a settlement worth $114.6m over five years. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels