Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Councillor calls on Wellingtonians to back and buy new mag

23 November 2017

Councillor calls on Wellingtonians to back and buy new ‘street’ mag


On 1 December, Regenerate Magazine – which will support people struggling with homelessness and poverty - will launch on the streets of Wellington.

And Councillor Brian Dawson, Wellington City Council’s Social Development Portfolio Leader, is urging Wellingtonians to support the magazine and the people selling it by buying a copy each time it hits the streets.

“Anyone who’s been in London in recent decades will probably be familiar with The Big Issue – a regular magazine that’s sold by people sleeping rough in the streets.

“Regenerate is something along the same lines – it’ll be produced by some of our most talented writers and designers and it’ll be sold by people who could do with our support.

“Every initiative that aims to help people who’ve fallen on hard times is something that I support – and so I hope Wellingtonians will buy the magazine too.”

Regenerate will be officially launched at a function this Sunday 26 November.

Regenerate Magazine Director Simon Dodd says it’s an initiative that’s been needed in the capital for some time. “There seem to be increasing numbers of people sleeping rough around Wellington and we wanted to give them an opportunity to earn a living. It’s a pragmatic response to a very complex issue.”

Vendors will purchase copies of the monthly magazine and on-sell them to the public.

“We’re hoping that locals will show their support by buying an issue each month. It’s a great way to support those less fortunate but it will also be a great read.”

The launch party is a family-friendly event and all are welcome. There will be music from Wellington singer/songwriter St. Bartholomew (who's featured in the first issue) and Harris, who will be showcasing some tracks from his forthcoming LP Bed Bugs.

Date: Sunday 26 November, 3pm-5pm, The Grand, 69 Courtenay Place
Family friendly, free food, live entertainment

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels