Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Some drivers risking not being here for Christmas

"Some drivers risking not being here for Christmas"


Police and NZTA have launched their joint road safety campaign – ‘We Want You Here for Christmas’.

It kicked off with an alcohol-focused harm prevention operation in Wellington last night, which pulled over around 3,000 vehicles over three hours.

Superintendent Steve Greally, National Road Policing Manager, says when people are driving they are operating a one tonne vehicle that has huge potential for harm.

“People need to be aware and respectful of this.

That means giving their driving their full attention, driving to the conditions, and not driving drunk or impaired in any way.

“Unfortunately last night we stopped nine people who were over the breath alcohol limit, two of whom registered over 400mg.

These people were putting the lives of everybody else they were sharing the road with in danger.

It’s really disappointing,” says Supt Greally.

NZTA senior manager Lisa Rossiter says there are already families who will be missing people at the Christmas table this year.

“Even one person over the limit is too many.”

Supt Greally says there were also about a dozen tickets given for a range of other reasons such as not wearing seatbelts – which is crazy when something so simple can save your life.

“Unfortunately the operation also included one disqualified driver who thought it would be a good idea to break through the checkpoint and flee from Police, hitting an officer with his vehicle while he did so.

Thankfully the officer is unharmed and the driver was later arrested at his home.

He will face charges in Court on Tuesday.

“He was one of two drivers who decided to flee from the Police during the operation.

“This is not the behaviour we want to see on our roads.

“However, at the same time it was good to see people who were doing the right thing.

And a lot of people were happy to see us out on the roadside and thanked us for being there and for keeping them safe.

“After all, that is what we are trying to do.

We want everybody to be safe on our the roads.

“If everybody decided to act responsibly every time they got in a car we could see so many lives saved.

“I urge everybody to take on board the messages – wear your seatbelt, don’t go too fast for the conditions, put your phone away, and driver sober and alert.

Because we want you here for Christmas.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels