Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Lois Tolley homicide investigation update

Lois Tolley homicide investigation update


Tomorrow marks one year since 30-year-old Lois Tolley was murdered in her Upper Hutt home.

Detective Senior Sergeant Glenn Barnett, Officer in Charge of Operation Archer, says that despite the time passed, the investigation team is absolutely confident arrests will be made and the people responsible for Lois’ death will be held accountable.

“Although there have been no quick arrests, Police and the investigation team of approximately 12 staff are still fully committed to solving this murder.”

The investigation team has worked through over 130 persons of interest and have now narrowed that list down to about 12 people, who were either directly involved in committing the murder, helped plan the attack on Lois, or assisted the killers after the murder.

This list includes both men and women, some of whom were known to Lois.

“A large amount of evidence has been collected to build up a full picture of events on the night of Friday 9 December 2016.

We are also gaining an increasing amount of direct or first-hand evidence needed to put this matter before the court,” says Detective Senior Sergeant Barnett.
“Over the course of the investigation we have spoken to at least 15 people who have direct knowledge of who planned the attack, committed the murder and actively helped to cover up the offenders’ involvement.

However, up until this point they have refused to assist Police in a way that would help us progress the investigation.

“We are seeing this attitude slowly changing with a number of people starting to come forward with valuable information, and we thank them for their assistance.

“However, we still need more of the people, who have spoken with the offenders, to contact us.

“There are people in our community who are close to the Tolley family who still haven’t spoken with Police.

These people need to come forward, give Police their information so we can bring this investigation to a conclusion,” says Detective Senior Sergeant Barnett.

Wellington Police are asking for direct contact from anyone who has not previously contacted, or spoken with police, but who may have new or extra information that would assist the homicide investigation.

They can contact Police by ringing (04) 381 2000 or by private messaging the Wellington Police Facebook page.

Lois’ life commemorated

On Saturday 10 October 2017 Lois Tolley’s mother Cathrine and over 50 friends gathered in an Upper Hutt park to remember a daughter, loved family member and friend who died just before midnight on 9 December 2016.

As about 100 balloons were released a close group, mainly from the Upper Hutt community, reflected, told stories and shared memories of a young woman’s life cut short in a few terrifying moments inside her own home in Upper Hutt.

The meeting of friends and family was an extremely emotional time for Cathrine (pictured) and family who attended knowing that the one-year anniversary of Lois’ death was approaching.

Cathrine told police that “Words cannot describe how we all feel, it feels like just yesterday that these cowards took her from us, the pain does not get any easier.

We miss Lois so much, this has devastated our family and her friends, they stole her future from her and all of us.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Veronika Meduna: The Kaikoura Rebuild

A Scoop Foundation Investigation

Friday will be a big day for people north of Kaikōura – and for hundreds of construction workers who are racing to reopen State Highway 1 in time for the holiday season.

By the afternoon, the South Island’s main transport corridor will be open to traffic again, more than a year after a magnitude 7.8 earthquake mangled bridges and tunnels, twisted rail tracks and buried sections of the road under massive landslides. More>>

 

BPS HYEFU WYSIWYG: Labour's Budget Plans, Families Package

“Today we are announcing the full details of the Government’s Families Package. This is paid for by rejecting National’s tax cuts and instead targeting spending at those who need it most. It will lift 88,000 children out of poverty by 2021." More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Defence Spending, Alabama, And Dolly Parton

The spending lavished on Defence projects to meet the risks that could maybe, possibly, theoretically face New Zealand in future is breath-taking, given how successive governments have been reluctant to spend even a fraction of those amounts on the nation’s actual social needs. More>>

ALSO:

Members' Bills: End Of Life Choice Bill Passes First Reading

The End of Life Choice Bill in the name of David Seymour has been sent to a select committee for consideration by 76 votes to 44. It is the third time Parliament has voted on the issue in recent decades and the first time such a Bill has made it over the first hurdle. More>>

ALSO:

State Sector: MPI Survives Defrag Of Portfolios

The Ministry for Primary Industries will not be split under the new government, but will instead serve as an overarching body for four portfolio-based entities focused on fisheries, forestry, biosecurity and food safety. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Vulnerable Kids, RNZ Funding, And Poppy

The decision to remove the word ‘vulnerable’ from the Ministry for Vulnerable Children could well mark a whole shift in approach to the care of children in need... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages