South Island Advisory, SH1 north of Kaikoura closed today
Here is the current state of South Island roads at 12:55 pm.
SH 1 north of Kaikoura has been closed due to slips affecting the road.
The detour route is as follows: Southbound traffic from Blenheim should use SH63, SH6, SH65, SH7 and back onto SH1 at Waipara. Reverse for northbound.
The roads in parts of the South Island are still wet.
• Stopping distances nearly double on wet roads.
Therefore, drivers should:
• Slow down and keep a generous following distance between you and the car in front
• The two-second rule should be a four-second rule
• Be extra vigilant – take corners slowly
• Heed road signs warnings of flooding and remember that you will need more time to stop and avoid hazards in wet conditions
State Highways: Warnings & Closures
Canterbury (Including Alpine / Mountain Passes)
• Route 70 near the Conway River Bridge – BREAKDOWN – The road is down to one lane under stop/go traffic management. Road users should expect some delays until the road is again clear.
• UPDATED: SH1, north of Kaikoura, Mangamaunu to Clarence – ROAD CLOSED – The road has been closed due to slips.
• Each day SH 1 between Mangamaunu and Clarence will be open from 7 am to 8:30 pm and closed overnight
• Road users are advised to expect delays and allow a minimum of 5.5 hours to travel between Christchurch and Picton on State Highway 1.
• When State Highway 1 north of Kaikoura is closed motorists travelling from Christchurch to Picton are advised to use the alternate route between Waipara to Blenheim via SH63, SH6, SH65, SH7. This route is open 24/7 and takes about 6.5 hours to travel.
• SH 1, south of Kaikoura, between Peketa and Goose Bay ROAD OPEN – The road is expected to close again at 8:30 pm tonight .
• Each day SH 1 between Peketa and Goose Bay will be open from 7 am to 8:30 pm and closed overnight
• SH1 between Hundalee and Clarence has multiple roadwork sites. This section of road has speed restrictions in place as well as sections that will be under stop/go operation.
• Inland Route 70 is open 24/7. It also has a number of work sites in place. Road-users are advised to allow up to 3 hours for the journey.
• SH 7 Reefton to Greymouth – POTHOLES – Road users should take extra care and drive slower through the area.
• SH 7 Reefton to Greymouth – SLIP – The slip is currently being cleared but care is needed by road users.
Stay up to date by using our Traffic Information Map (www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic). This page shows all incidents, area warnings and road works on the New Zealand State Highway network.
MetService - Severe Weather Warnings
This warning will be updated by: 10:00am Friday 12-Jan-2018
Heavy rain for northwest
A low is slow-moving over the Tasman Sea. An associated front is expected to bring a period of heavy rain to Nelson west of Motueka. The heavy rain affecting Buller, Westland and the Canterbury high country has eased and the warning for these areas is lifted.
Nelson west of Motueka
Valid: 24 hours from 12:00pm Friday to 12:00pm Saturday
Forecast: Rain is forecast to become heavy late Friday morning. From noon Friday till noon Saturday, expect 100 to 120mm of northeasterly rain to accumulate, mainly about the ranges. Peak intensities of 10 to 20mm per hour.
Please note, that further heavy falls are possible Saturday afternoon.