The Community and Public Health division of Canterbury District Health Board has issued a health warning after potentially toxic blue-green algae (planktonic cyanobacteria) was found in Lake Pegasus.
People and animals, particularly children and dogs, should avoid contact with Lake Pegasus until the health warning has been lifted.
Dr Alistair Humphrey, Canterbury Medical Officer of Health, says the algal bloom can produce neurotoxins harmful to humans and animals.
“Exposure may cause skin rashes, nausea, stomach cramps, tingling and numbness around the mouth and fingertips. If you experience any of these symptoms visit your doctor immediately and please let your doctor know if you have had contact with the lake water,” Dr Humphrey says.
“No one should drink the water from the lake at any time,” Dr Humphrey says. “Boiling the water does not remove the toxin.”
This bloom will be monitored on a weekly basis and the public will be advised of any changes that are of public health significance”.
Facts about cyanobacteria:
• The algae occur naturally but can increase rapidly
during warmer months.
• If the water is cloudy, discoloured, or has small globules suspended in it, avoid all contact.
• Not all cyanobacterial blooms are visible to the naked eye and toxins can persist after the blooms disappear.
• Cyanobacterial concentrations can change quickly with changing environmental conditions (e.g. wind). If a health warning is in place avoid contact with the water.
For further information visit https://www.ecan.govt.nz/your-region/your-environment/water/swimming-water-quality/
Or contact Community and Public Health on (03) 364
For more information about Mahinga