Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Mt Eden church not a risk to neighbouring properties

Mt Eden church not a risk to neighbouring properties

9 March 2018

Auckland Council engineers do not believe that St James Presbyterian Church and Sunday School Hall on Esplanade Road in Mount Eden is at risk of imminent collapse.

The building is subject to a dangerous building notice issued by Auckland Council in April 2012 and requires further work to maintain its structural integrity and to make it safe for any future inhabitants.

Property developers associated with the building previously applied for a resource consent to demolish the building and develop the site, but this was declined in September 2017. The developers have since appealed this decision and this is currently sitting before the Environment Court.

Auckland Council engineers have investigated the site and the owners of the church are aware of their obligations under health and safety legislation.

“We have also received independent expert advice stating that, with the exception of a significant earthquake, the Sunday school hall building is not at imminent risk of collapse nor is it beyond point of being safely repaired,” Auckland Council Manager Regulatory Compliance Steve Pearce says.

“We have investigated the structural integrity of both the interior and exterior of the building and have instructed our engineers to re-inspect the building to confirm that the situation has not changed.

“We are aware of the concerns of local residents following media reports and an anonymous letter drop campaign, and want to assure them that the building is not at imminent risk of collapse.

“We are continuing to monitor the building and will review the safety arrangements if the structural integrity of the building changes," Mr Pearce says.

“We take public safety extremely seriously which is why we issued the dangerous building notice in the first place.

“This is a difficult situation due to the historical status of the building. Auckland Council's heritage team has been consulted and they have advised they do not believe the building needs to be demolished, but that work can be carried out by the owners to make it safe.

“The building developers have a number of options available to them. Demolition is not the only option as there are alternative, creative solutions available.

“This is one of a number of heritage buildings across Auckland which has fallen in disrepair. In conjunction with our heritage team, we stand ready to assist property owners and developers of such buildings in exploring their options.”

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels