Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Wellington to proceed with 10-Year Plan

WELLINGTON CITY COUNCIL NEWS RELEASE

6 June 2018

Wellington to proceed with 10-Year Plan

Wellington City Council’s 10-Year Plan is ready for adoption, after the Mayor and Councillors passed the proposed plan at today’s deliberation session.

Wellington Mayor Justin Lester says the plan reaffirms the Council’s commitment to delivering for Wellingtonians.

“The 10-Year Plan gives us the mandate to move ahead on our plans for resilience, housing, transport, a sustainable economy and the creative and cultural sector,” he says.

Wellingtonians will welcome the news that the city’s rates increase, which was originally proposed at 4.5 percent, has come down to an average increase of 3.8 percent a year over the 10 years.

The Mayor says officers have worked hard to trim the fat and find alternative avenues of funding, despite cost increases around insurance.

“For example, the New Zealand Transport Agency has increased its cap on funding, which means a net gain for us of about $2 million a year,” says the Mayor.

The Long-Term and Annual Plan Committee on Wednesday agreed the council should adopt the Long-Term Annual Plan following a consultation process that attracted more than 2000 public submissions.

The 10-Year Plan has strong public support - 72 percent of 2066 submissions agreed with the Council’s vision for Wellington.

The city’s future was also strongly represented with 19-30-year-olds making up 25 percent of submitters, despite being just 19 percent of the city’s population. Nearly 50 percent of submitters were aged 40 or under.

The plan involves investing $2.31 billion in capital projects to ensure Wellington remains safe, inclusive, creative, sustainable and future focused. Key projects are:

• $280m will be spent on on improving key transport corridors, wastewater and water infrastructure.
• $118.5m to protect the water supply, including building 22 community water stations across Wellington.
• Building Wellington’s largest reservoir, holding 35 million litres of water, under Omāroro Park in Mt Cook.
• Further investing in social and affordable housing.
• $122m to partner with NZ Transport Agency and Greater Wellington Regional Council to transform Wellington’s transport infrastructure.
• Our plans include light rail from the CBD to southern and eastern suburbs, prioritisation for walking and cycling, and removing arterial routes from city streets.
• Reinforcing the Culture Capital with $16m budgeted for major cultural events such as WOW, Wellington on a Plate, the New Zealand Festival and Matariki.
• $111m for cultural venues to ensure their ongoing future and enhance their accessibility for artists.

The 10-Year Plan will be adopted at the full Council meeting on June 27.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

KiwiBailed: KiwiBuild Head Officially Resigns

The head of Kiwibuild, Stephen Barclay has officially resigned from the role. In a statement issued on his behalf, it was announced that he would step down from today [Friday].

Housing Minister Phil Twyford's office said he would not be commenting on Mr Barclay's resignation as it was an employment matter. Last month, Mr Twyford confirmed that Mr Barclay had not been at work for a number of weeks. More>>

 

Welfare Stats: Rise In Hardship Numbers Shows Income Inadequacy

The latest Ministry of Social Development quarterly report show that a record number of people have received hardship assistance from work and income, with an additional 40,000 hardship payments made between September and December 2018, compared to the previous quarter of the same year... More>>

ALSO:

DHBs "Prepared": Junior Doctors Strike Again

The needs of acute patients will be met during tomorrow's junior doctor strike, a DHB spokesperson says... Almost 3000 junior doctors are expected to walk off the job, which will affect all DHBs apart from West Coast District Health Board. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On MBIE’s Social Media Scam

Given the ambit of MBIE’s work, almost any form of social activity could qualify as being part of MBIE’s brief, so the privacy threats posed by this training programme are extensive. The current oversight safeguards seem threadbare to non-existent. More>>

ALSO:

JusTrade: New Campaign For A 21th Century Trade Agenda

‘Critique is no longer enough. If anything is to really change, we need to step away from the existing framework and take a first-principles approach to rethinking what will work for the 21st century.’ More>>

Earlier:

Gordon Campbell: Thompson + Clark Are The Tip Of The Iceberg

How can we tell where and how any lines are being drawn? Oversight is not exactly robust. If it were, Thompson + Clark would have been out of contention for state security work ten years ago. More>>

Trainers: Taratahi Institute of Agriculture In Interim Liquidation

Taratahi employ 250 staff and this year has provided education to over 2500 students. Taratahi owns and manages 8 farms throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

IPCA Report: Complaints About Deputy Commissioner Wallace Haumaha

The Authority has found that DC Haumaha acted improperly by approaching staff and others to provide information to support him to refute the allegations about his 2016 conduct, or solicited other staff to do so on his behalf... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels