Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Centennial Trust presents $200k towards Museum strengthening

Media Release

Monday 2 July 2018


Rotorua Museum Centennial Trust presented $200,000 to Rotorua Lakes Council towards the seismic strengthening of Rotorua Museum.

The contribution was presented to the Council during last week’s (Thursday 28 June) Full Council meeting by Rotorua Museum Centennial Trust Chairman, Lyall Thurston.

He says the decision to make the donation was made by the trustees at a recent meeting as a gesture to the management and staff of Rotorua Museum Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa.

“This is an initial contribution to the seismic strengthening of the Museum. The trustees and I believe this is the first step in a challenging journey to get this much loved building back to its former glory for New Zealanders and the world to enjoy”, Mr Thurston says.


Rotorua Museum Centennial Trust was originally established in 2006 to drive fundraising efforts to complete the Bath House building (home to Rotorua Museum) to its original design.

The three phased development cost approximately $22 million and saw the north wing viewing platform reinstated in 2006 and the north wing extension including the Rotorua Trust Galleries opened in November 2008. The final and most significant phase saw a major extension to the south wing of the Bath House, the Don Stafford Wing, which opened in 2011.


A long-standing partnership between Council and the Trust offering continued support after Rotorua Museum had to be closed to the public in 18 November 2016 following a Rapid Seismic Risk Assessment (RSRA) of the building after the Kaikoura earthquake.

Council has decided on a preferred option to strengthen and repair the Museum building following extensive structural and geotechnical assessment. The option will seismically strengthen the building and reinstate the impacted heritage features so it can be re-opened.

Council gave a vote of thanks to the Trust following the presentation at the Full Council meeting, Mayor Steve Chadwick emphasising that there was emphatic community support for re-storing and re-opening the Museum.


A Detailed Seismic Assessment (DSA) of Rotorua Museum (Bath House building) revealed it was 19% of New Building Standard (NBS). The southern wing rated over 70% NBS, but seismic requirement changes since 2011 mean it requires additional bracing to bring it up to 100% NBS.

Rotorua Museum Centennial Trust includes: Chairman Lyall Thurston QSO JP, Patron Dame Cath Tizard ONZ, GCMG, GCVO, DBE, QSO, DStJ, Trustees: Her Worship the Mayor Hon Steve Chadwick, Rt Hon Paul East CNZM QC, Doug Clemens QSM, Mike Johnson, Jo-Anne La Grouw MNZM, Fred McRae, Malcolm Short ONZM, Jo Romanes, Maria Palmer and Rotorua Lakes Council Arts and Culture Manager Stewart Brown.

ends


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels