Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

West Coast DHB prepares for NZNO strike


10 July 2018

New Zealand Nurses Organisation (NZNO) nurses, midwives and healthcare assistants have voted to strike from 7am Thursday 12 July until 7am Friday 13 July. This will impact services at all West Coast DHB facilities including some General Practices and community care.

Our priority is to ensure we maintain safe patient care and minimise disruption for hospital inpatients and those receiving care in their own homes during the strike period.

As part of its contingency plans West Coast DHB has contacted patients whose outpatient appointment or surgery has had to be postponed. Patients whose appointments and procedures are being deferred will be contacted directly by phone.

Importantly, our hospital and health centres throughout the Coast will remain open and continue to provide essential and urgent services including emergency care and acute surgery and maternity care. Our wards will remain open but with reduced capacity. If you have a family member who will be in hospital on the day of the strike, you are welcome to spend more time with them than you usually would

Remember if you need health care advice, make your general practice team your first port of call for care around the clock.

After-hours you can phone Healthline on 0800 611 116 for free health advice. A nurse will advise on what to do and where to go if it’s urgent and you need to be seen by a doctor.

In an emergency, you should still phone 111. On the Coast our most rural areas have Rural Nurse Specialists on call to respond to emergencies.

Chief executive David Meates says West Coast DHB regrets having to defer outpatient appointments and surgery. “We appreciate how disruptive this it to those affected. Please be assured our staff are trying to rebook patients as quickly as possible.

“I would also like to thank everyone who has been working on our contingency planning for their work to date preparing for this strike and to everyone involved in ensuring that essential health services will remain available during the strike.”

If patients need to check on their appointment, they can call the Central Booking Unit on (03) 769-7400, extension 2901. If possible, quote the NHI number which is usually in the upper right hand corner of the letter.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels