Booster’s generosity catapults Resilience Fund over target
Booster’s generosity catapults Nikau Foundation’s Resilience Fund over the target.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nikau Foundation is all about channelling compassion and generosity for Wellingtonians but it was an iconic Wellington business that came to their rescue in the last hours of their resilience fundraising campaign.
KiwiSaver provider, Booster donated over $2,500 to the community foundation’s Pledge Me campaign to catapult them past the $20,000 target. This was on top of pledging another $2,500 for rewards in previous weeks.
“We are extremely grateful to Booster for understanding the importance of our work in building a pot of funding for grants to community resilience, and getting us over the line. Without them, we may not have hit the target, and subsequently not secured all the other pledgers”.
Nikau Foundation’s Pledge Me campaign started in mid-June with the intention of raising funds through the sale of the Wellington Resilience Chocolate bar to kick off their new Wellington Resilience Fund – a dedicated Area-of-Special Interest Fund at the foundation for donors interested in making a lasting contribution to the resilience of the Wellington Region against potential threats like a significant earthquake. All donations to the Wellington Resilience Fund are invested forever, with the interest on the capital distributed in grants each year.
“This year we want to support projects improving the preparedness and connectedness of residents like helping fund water tanks and solar charged power banks that the public can access in an emergency” continues Louise. “And with generous pledgers like Booster, this is now possible”.
Booster’s Managing Director, Allan Yeo said, “We’ve called Wellington home for 20 years, so we’re Wellingtonian through and through. At Booster we’re about building resilience of the financial kind. Nikau’s fundraising was an opportunity to support the resilience of the very special city we call home. It was just the natural thing for us to do.”
“Being based in Wellington helps make Booster the kind of company we are. Supporting this initiative builds a stronger, resilient, more connected community. That’s important to us because we live and work here.”
Although the Pledge Me campaign is now a success, orders for the Wellington Resilience Bar can be made and donations directly in to the fund can be made via Nikau Foundation’s website at www.nikaufoundation.org.nz or by phone on 0800 986 744.
Nikau Foundation is also keen to hear what resilience projects need funding across the region so they invite Wellingtonians to fill out the form on the Resilience Fund page on their website to help build a picture of community needs.
About Nikau Foundation
* Mission statement: Growing generosity and social investment to strengthen our Wellington communities.
* The Nikau Foundation is an independent charitable trust, part of a worldwide network of community foundations, that attracts gifts, trusts and legacies and invests them to preserve the capital and generate income to benefit the Greater Wellington region.
* The income from these investments is distributed to charitable organisations in accordance with each donor's wishes.
* The Foundation’s primary aim is to provide a simple, effective and long-lasting way for people in the Greater Wellington region to give to local causes now and in the future.
• Booster is one of the nine government-appointed default KiwiSaver scheme providers with $2.5 billion currently under management on behalf of over 120,000 investors across KiwiSaver, Superannuation and other Investment Schemes.
• Booster contributes to growing the strength of New Zealand communities through other initiatives such as Tahi, which help Kiwi businesses stay kiwi-owned. You can find out more about Tahi at www.booster.co.nz/tahi
Photo: Louise Parkin, General Manager of Nikau Foundation presents Diana Papadopoulos from Booster NZ with the artwork from the chocolate bar they purchased as part of their support of the Wellington Resilience Campaign. Twelve prints signed by artist, Stephen Templer are available for purchase through Nikau Foundation.