More than 90 Auckland zero waste heroes to be celebrated
More than 90 Auckland zero waste heroes to be celebrated in community awards night
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
17 July 2018
Auckland, N.Z.: Leaders and innovators in minimising waste going to landfill will be celebrated at the second Auckland Community Zero Waste Awards Night in Henderson on Wednesday the 25th of July.
More than 90 community zero waste champions, some as young as eight years old, will be acknowledged as part of the celebration.
Hosted by Shortland Street stars Ben Barrington (Dr. Drew McCaskill) and Sam Bunkall (Boyd Rolleston), the awards recognise the work and passion across the community in six award categories:
• TRAILBLAZER - For the individual that has gone above and beyond demonstrating their passion, knowledge, encouragement and empowerment for zero waste in their community
• POWER OF THE PEOPLE - For a group, community organisation (not-for-profit) or school that has demonstrated commitment, effort and leadership
• LEADERS IN THE MAKING - For rangatahi/young people standing up and showing leadership for a zero waste world (this category is divided into two age groups: under 13 and 13 - 24 years)
• FAIR ON ALL FRONTS - For an innovative community or social enterprise that is converting waste into a resource and improving social, environmental and local economic outcomes
• RE-IMAGINING THE RESOURCE - For an innovative, creative and unique upcycled product (each individual or group can enter with up to three different products)
Nominees come from all over the Auckland Region and are from diverse backgrounds including representatives from Māori, Pacific, Indian and Chinese communities.
The Community Zero Waste Awards Night will be preceded by the Zero Waste Hui during the day, which is an opportunity for individuals and organisations with an interest in waste minimisation to come together to network, share skills and inspire each other. For a list of speakers, panelists and exhibitors, see www.ecomatters.org.nz/zerowastehui