Check out our Labour Weekend to do list
The forecast may be a bit hit and miss in the capital this Labour Weekend, but we’ve got a list of things to do to suit all weather types – and all types of people too.
Obviously, to really appreciate Labour Weekend, we recommend visiting Samuel Parnell’s grave in the Bolton Street Cemetery – Parnell is known as the Father of the eight-hour day in New Zealand. While you’re there, visit the memorial to Harry Holland (1868-1933) – one of the founders of the Labour Party.
While we’re back in time, go and visit Katherine Mansfield’s birthplace in Tinakori Road – it’s just over 130 years to the day since her birth (14 October 1888).
Heritage Week kicks-off on Monday, with over 30 tours and events happening around the city including a free Parliament Heritage and Art tour, and Wrights Hill Fortress open day this weekend.
There are still
plenty of events left for Seniors’ Week – check out the
programme, but be sure to contact the organisers to check
Make a splash at Thorndon Pool, as the popular outdoor lido reopens for the summer season this Saturday.
Have a bit of a spring clean and donate your unwanted items to any of the amazing charitable organisations around the capital. We’re proud supporters of the Sustainability Trust which will take your old curtains and eWaste. Or donate time to our good friends at Kiwi Community Assistance – or any other local charitable group helping out in our community.
Our Tip Shop at the Southern Landfill is open all weekend, so you can drop off recyclable and reusable items, and pick up a bargain at the same time – after all, one person’s trash, is another person’s treasure.
Soak up some culture with a tour of public art on display all over the city – from sculptures, to murals, videos, and lightbox displays, you can find them all here.
Geek out with Sci-Fi Sundays at the Carter Observatory, with the timeless classic Spaceballs film showing from 7pm on the 21st.
He tangata he tangata
he tangata – use the time to catch up with friends and
• Head to any of our Laneways for a coffee, cake, craft beer, or purchase an item of clothing or two!
• Stop and smell the roses at the Botanic Garden – and join the Botanics Unravelled walk while you’re there
• The Phoenix take on Newcastle Jets at WestPac Stadium on Sunday – tickets still available, so don the yellow and black and support our Nix
• Head down to the waterfront to check out the Show & Shine car events on Saturday
• Check out the NZ Amateur Rock’n’Roll National Champs being held at Walter Nash Stadium
• Or enjoy one of the many walkways or cycle trails around the region.