Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Police recover 97 deal bags of synthetic cannabi

"Police recover 97 deal bags of synthetic cannabis"

Police have recovered 97 individual zip-lock bags of synthetic cannabis following a routine traffic stop.

At around 1pm on Wednesday 17 October Police stopped a driver on Flaxmere Avenue due to the poor condition of his vehicle which did not appear to meet the standard for a warrant of fitness.

After being stopped, the driver, a 25-year-old man, tried to throw a bag and cellphone back into the car.

The bag contained cannabis and cash.

Following this discovery a search of the car was carried out.

Police recovered two large zip-lock bags containing at total of 97 smaller bags of synthetic cannabis.

Senior Sergeant Steve Nicoll says “It’s likely that the synthetic cannabis would have ended up causing significant harm in our communities.”

The 25-year-old man has been arrested and is due to appear in court on Tuesday 23 October facing charges of possession of psychoactive substances for supply and possession of cannabis as well as driving offences.

“This action demonstrates that police will continue to take offending of this nature extremely seriously and will not hesitate to bring people before the courts,” says Senior Sergeant Nicoll.

“We want the public to know we are working hard to stop the spread of this harmful drug.”

“We urge those using synthetic drugs to stop immediately and contact their GP or the Alcohol Drug Helpline for assistance.”

“We also ask members of our community who may think someone has taken synthetic drugs to call 111 immediately and seek medical assistance for them."

Police urge communities to report anyone suspected of making or supplying synthetic drugs.

You can contact your local police station or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels