Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Masterton residents asked to conserve water

24 October 2018

Masterton residents asked to conserve water as river levels drop

Masterton residents are being asked to only use handheld hoses as the district’s rivers drop to low levels.

The Waingawa River supplies Masterton’s water. Its flow rate has dropped below 1,300 litres per second – a significant reduction from normal flow.

Masterton District Council begins looking at water conservation measures when the river drops below 1,900 litres per second.

Assets and Operations Manager David Hopman says the river level dropped extremely fast.

“Normally we would be asking people to only use sprinklers on alternate days before we switch to handheld hoses only,” Mr Hopman said.

“October is very early for our district’s rivers to drop to this level. However, we are hoping that forecast rain will provide some reprieve over the next week.”

Mr Hopman says the way water restrictions are initiated has changed slightly this year and residents should be prepared for the potential of a total watering ban.

“We’ve worked with the Greater Wellington Regional Council to manage Masterton’s water consumption in line with maintaining the health of our rivers.

“For the first time our water restrictions are directly tied to the level of water in our rivers,” Mr Hopman said.

“It means that if the rivers get below a certain level over a sustained period, we will be asking residents not to water their garden, either with sprinklers or handheld hoses.”

People can find out the current water restriction rating online at www.mstn.govt.nz/services/water-services/ or in Saturday’s Wairarapa Times Age. There is also a water restriction rating meter in central Masterton, on the corner of Hope and Chapel Streets.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels