Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Migrant exploitation sentences upheld in Court of Appeal

13 NOVEMBER 2018

The sentencing of dual Filipino/New Zealand citizen restauranteurs who exploited migrants has been upheld in the Court of Appeal.

Following a five day jury trial in the District Court at Auckland earlier this year, Mrs Virgil Balajadia and Mr Luisito Balajadia were found guilty of multiple offences under the Immigration Act. The Court of Appeal has now dismissed the couple’s appeals against their sentences.

Mr and Mrs Balajadia immigrated in 2001 and now hold New Zealand citizenship. Mrs Balajadia is the sole shareholder and director of 3 Kings Food Distributors Ltd, trading as 3 Kings Restaurant. Most of their victims, workers hired from the Philippines, had to work 12 hours a day, six days a week including cooking, cleaning the restaurant, washing dishes and assisting in the couple’s home.

The District Court described the victims as “working and living in conditions not far removed from a modern day form of slavery.”

Mrs Balajadia was described as “extremely abusive and controlling” in victim impact statements. She was convicted of two charges of exploitation of a temporary worker and five charges of providing false or misleading information to INZ in employment agreements. The District Court found a starting point of 30 months imprisonment was appropriate and Mrs Balajadia was settled on an end sentence of two years and two months’ imprisonment. The Court of Appeal described that starting point as “lenient”, and stated it could easily have been as high as 40 months imprisonment.



Mr Balajadia was convicted of two charges of exploitation of a temporary worker and two charges of providing false or misleading information to INZ. He was sentenced to eight months home detention by the District Court. His appeal against sentence was also dismissed by the Court of Appeal.

The Court of Appeal found the couple had an overarching scheme of bringing workers into the country, exercising control over them, subjecting them to inhumane and substandard working and living conditions. The Court of Appeal noted the aggravating factor of the offending was “a very high degree of premeditation: this was deliberate and repetitive offending over a sustained period; and this conduct was undertaken for the appellant’s commercial advantage.”

INZ Assistant General Manager Peter Devoy says the prosecution was the result of months of detailed investigative work by INZ and the Labour Inspectorate.

“This Court of Appeal decision sends a strong signal that migrant exploitation will not be tolerated in New Zealand and it is good to see that the Court of Appeal has viewed this offending as a serious case of deception and exploitation. We encourage anyone being forced to work in New Zealand illegally for less than the minimum wage and/or excessive hours to contact Immigration New Zealand or the Labour Inspectorate. People can also contact CrimeStoppers anonymously.”

For further information contact the media line on 0274 422 141 or email media@mbie.govt.nz

www.govt.nz - your guide to finding and using New Zealand government services

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Terror in NZ: Mosques Attacked in Christchurch

• There have been two attacks at the Masjid Al Noor Mosque next to Hagley Park, and at the Linwood Masjid Mosque in the suburb of Linwood, Christchurch
• Police commissioner says 50 confirmed dead in Christchurch terrorist attacks. One man charged with murder appeared in court on Saturday, two more apprehended - working to understand their involvement
• PM Jacinda Ardern has described it as a "terrorist attack" by those holding extremist views. She says NZ's gun laws will change.
• The national security threat level has been increased from low to high.
• Commissioner Bush said there were explosive devices attached to one vehicle that were stopped by police and these have been made safe by Defence Force personnel.

More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Effective Changes To Gun Laws And The SIS
Already, the government has signalled that its response to the Christchurch mosque shootings will proceed on two main fronts (a) changes to the gun laws (b) changes to the current surveillance behaviours of the Police and the SIS... More>>

.

 
 

"Grabbed And Struck In The Face": Greens Co-Leader Attacked While Walking To Work

Green Party co-leader James Shaw was the victim of an unprovoked attack when he was walking to work in Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

████████ ████ ███: Latest OIA Statistics Released

The latest statistics cover 110 agencies that collectively completed 18,106 official information requests between July and December 2018, a 16.4% increase on the 15,551 requests for the previous six months. More>>

ALSO:

'Hit And Run' Inquiry: New Legal Action Over Secrecy

The lawyer representing the Afghan villagers in the inquiry into Operation Burnham has launched legal proceedings calling for a judicial review in the investigation. More>>

ALSO:

From Hydro Plan To...: Mokihinui River Land To Join Kahurangi National Park

A total of 64,400 hectares of conservation land in the Mokihinui River catchment on the West Coast north of Westport, including 15 km of riverbed, is being added to Kahurangi National Park. “Adding this area, roughly half the size of Auckland City, to Kahurangi is the largest addition of land to an existing national park in New Zealand’s history,” Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Shane Jones (And A Huawei Update)

For better and worse, this is a small country... any major business initiative aiming to benefit the Maori community in Northland is likely to come across the radar of a local Maori politician called Shane Jones. More>>

ALSO:

National's Political Donations: SFO To Investigate Jami-Lee Ross' Complaint

Independent MP Jami-Lee Ross says he understands the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) investigation into a complaint on a National Party donation is looking at tracing the money back through different bank accounts. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Drift Re-Entry Scheduled For 3 May

Minister Responsible for Pike River Re-entry Andrew Little has announced that in light of the current state of preparations, the scheduled date to commence re-entering and recovering the access tunnel to the Pike River Mine (the drift) will be Friday 3rd May. More>>

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels