Passing lanes on SH2 to be closed for safety during holidays
The NZ Transport Agency advises motorists that passing lanes
at Maramarua on SH2 will be closed for safety reasons during
busy Christmas and New Year holiday travel periods.
SH2 is the main highway connection between Auckland and the Coromandel and Tauranga.
“The closures will make the road safer for all road users in heavy traffic by maintaining a steady flow and preventing the risk of crashes as traffic merges at the end of the passing lane,” says the Transport Agency’s Acting System Manager Ross l‘Anson.
For east-bound traffic the passing lane on SH2 near Mangatawhiri Road will be closed:
• Friday 21 December Midday - 10pm
• Sunday, 22 December 9am - 5pm
• Wednesday, 26 December 9am - 5pm.
For west-bound traffic, the passing lane near the Maramarua Golf Club and the Golf Road off ramp and Koheroa Road on ramp will be closed:
• Saturday, 5 January 10 am – 11pm
• Sunday, 6 January 10am – 11pm
“Slightly longer queues can be expected when the passing lanes are closed but there will be minimal impact to overall travel times. We ask drivers to be patient and allow extra time for their journey so that everybody gets home or to their destination safely,” says Mr l’Anson.
Reopening of the passing lanes and
ramps will depend on the traffic flow. If traffic remains
heavy, the closures will remain in place for
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey this summer. Keep up to date with:
• Traffic updates: nzta.govt.nz/traffic
• Facebook: facebook.com/nztaakl
• Twitter: twitter.com/nztaakl
• Journey planner: journeys.nzta.govt.nz
• Phone: 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49)
• Electric Vehicle charge stations: www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/ev-chargers