Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Speedy progress on Kaituna River re-diversion

Work by Bay of Plenty Regional Council and J Swap Contractors Ltd. to restore estuary health by returning freshwater flows from the Kaituna River into Te Awa o Ngātoroirangi Maketū Estuary is now ahead of schedule.

After re-opening for the summer fishing season, Ford Road access restrictions will return from 8 February to allow river re-diversion construction progress to continue.

“The first sod was turned on 12 June last year. We expected the project to take two years to complete but we’re already nearly halfway through,” said Regional Council Coastal Catchments Manager Pim de Monchy.

“We’re grateful for the co-operation and support we’ve received from local residents, tangata whenua, river users, fishers and Western Bay of Plenty District Council to date. It will mean we can complete the work and get public access, and the health and mauri (life force) of the estuary restored as quickly as possible,” Mr de Monchy said.

Ford Road access to the Kaituna River mouth and Maketū Spit will be closed to the public between 7am and 7pm on weekdays and Saturdays from 8 February until 27 May 2019. The road will be open for public use all day on Sundays.

“If people want to enter before 7am and stay at the road-end all day on weekdays or Saturdays, they’re very welcome to. They just won’t be able to leave until the road re-opens at 7pm,” Mr de Monchy said.

Locals are invited to inspect project progress for themselves at a construction site walking tour and community update meeting on Wednesday 13 February. The tour will leave from 83 Ford Road at 5.30pm. The meeting will follow from 6.30pm at Tukotahi Marae (also at 83 Ford Road).



Mr de Monchy said that construction of the new replacement stop bank west of Ford Road is almost complete, the last row of Ford Road culverts are currently being installed, and excavation of the new re-diversion channel is well underway.

“There’s still a lot of work to do, and a range of factors including weather and unforeseen ground conditions could impact on final timeframes, so the forecast completion date remains set for June 2020. But if current progress continues we may be able to finish the work sooner,” Mr de Monchy said.

Further project videos, updates and information are available at www.boprc.govt.nz/kaitunarediversion.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Government Confirms Royal Commission of Inquiry:

Friday: National Remembrance Service

A National Remembrance Service for the victims of the Christchurch mosques terrorist attack, and all those affected by it, will be held at 10am on Friday 29 March, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced. More>>

Ban On Military Style Semi-Automatics And Assault Rifles
Military style semi-automatics and assault rifles will be banned in New Zealand under stronger new gun laws... Related parts used to convert these guns into MSSAs are also being banned, along with all high-capacity magazines. “An amnesty will be put in place for weapons to be handed in, and Cabinet has directed officials to develop a buyback scheme...All semi-automatic weapons used during the terrorist attack on Friday 15 March will be banned." More>>

SCOOP COVERAGE: CHRISTCHURCH MOSQUES TERROR ATTACK
For the Latest: Scoop Search - Christchurch
 

Gordon Campbell: On The School Climate Strike

Locally, the school strike has won a ton of support for bringing climate change to the fore. Yet the strikers don't want mere expressions of support. They want action. More>>

ALSO:

"Grabbed And Struck In The Face": Greens Co-Leader Attacked While Walking To Work

Green Party co-leader James Shaw was the victim of an unprovoked attack when he was walking to work in Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

████████ ████ ███: Latest OIA Statistics Released

The latest statistics cover 110 agencies that collectively completed 18,106 official information requests between July and December 2018, a 16.4% increase on the 15,551 requests for the previous six months. More>>

ALSO:

'Hit And Run' Inquiry: New Legal Action Over Secrecy

The lawyer representing the Afghan villagers in the inquiry into Operation Burnham has launched legal proceedings calling for a judicial review in the investigation. More>>

ALSO:

From Hydro Plan To...: Mokihinui River Land To Join Kahurangi National Park

A total of 64,400 hectares of conservation land in the Mokihinui River catchment on the West Coast north of Westport, including 15 km of riverbed, is being added to Kahurangi National Park. “Adding this area, roughly half the size of Auckland City, to Kahurangi is the largest addition of land to an existing national park in New Zealand’s history,” Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels