Recent vehicle break-ins Dunedin
Hide it, take it, lock it or lose it.
That is the message from Dunedin Police who have dealt with a recent spate of vehicle break-ins.
On Saturday morning two youths were observed breaking into a number of cars.
When Police arrived they decamped.
They were tracked and located by a Police Dog.
The offenders have admitted breaking into 20 unlocked vehicles around the Queens Garden, Princess Street, Manor Place and Maitland Street area.
Dunedin Police wish to remind members of the public to lock their cars at all times.
You can minimise their opportunities by:
· Always take keys with you when you leave your vehicle.
· Always lock your vehicle when you leave it.
· Close all windows, including sunroofs.
· Park in well-lit areas if possible.
· Try not to leave valuables in your car.
Thieves will break in for something as small as loose change.
· If you have to leave valuables in your car, make sure they are out of sight, but remember hiding them is not as safe as removing them.
· Don’t leave documents with personal information or keys to your house/business/boat etc in your vehicle.
· Consider installing an alarm to provide extra security.
As always if you see any suspicious activity – report it.