Call for community feedback on upgrade options along SH12
The NZ Transport Agency is inviting Northland residents and businesses to learn more about potential improvements for State Highway 12 between Rawene and Katui Road.
We are holding drop in community events in Rawene and Opononi on Thursday May 16 for the community to come and find out more about the long list options and to provide their feedback.
The Transport Agency’s Northland System Manager Jacqui Hori-Hoult says work undertaken in 2016-2017 identified areas for improvement along the 800km Twin Coast Discovery Route to help grow Northland’s economy through safer, reliable and accessible journeys.
Funding for the project is from the Provincial Growth Fund (PGF) and is for the development of the business case. Further funding will be required for implementation.
“Over the past three months we have developed a long list of options in partnership with hapū and key stakeholders. We are now seeking public feedback to help us understand which of these options are important to the local community and why,” says Ms Hori-Hoult.
The long list of options
• Improvements to the parking and access facilities at the Opononi Township waterfront
• A new shared use path between Opononi and Omapere
• Speed management from Opononi to Omapere
• New road crossing facilities at Fairlie Crescent and the Opononi Area School
• Kauri Coast cycle route improvements
• Access improvements to the intersections at Pakanae Cemetary Road and Waiotemarama Gorge Road
• Access improvements to Waimamaku
• Improved signage and wayfinding along the corridor to include cultural stories
• Improved access to rest areas and upgrades to amenities along State Highway 12
• Safety improvements along State Highway 12 from Rawene through to Katui Road.
The meetings are on Thursday, 26 May 2019
• 11am – 1pm Rawene Town Hall, 9 Rawene Street, Rawene and
• 3pm – 6pm South Hokianga War Memorial Hall, 13 State Highway 12, Opononi.
Or you can provide feedback through our website https://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/connecting-northland/twin-coast-discovery-route/twin-coast-discovery-business-cases/have-your-say/
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey. Keep up to date with:
• Traffic updates: nzta.govt.nz/traffic
• Facebook: facebook.com/nztaakl
• Twitter: twitter.com/nztaakl
• Journey planner: journeys.nzta.govt.nz
• Phone: 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49)