Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Harsh penalties handed down to illegal dumpers

Friday 24 May 2019


Home detention and financial penalties have been handed down to two people and a company for illegally dumping oil drums in Manurewa and the Waitākere Ranges earlier this year.

Devendra Prakash, the director of D Bhagyanil Company Limited, was convicted and sentenced under the Resource Management Act today at the Auckland District Court for 28 charges relating to illegally dumping hazardous material in February last year.

Mr Prakash was sentenced to three months home detention plus six months probation and was further ordered to pay the Auckland Council $17,195.61 in reparations. District Court Judge Melanie Harland noted during the sentencing that the illegal dumping was deliberate, serious and reckless offending for commercial gain that led to associated environmental effects.

Mr Prakash’s former employee, Harampreet Singh, was also sentenced for the same offending in October and was convicted but discharged. Judge Harland highlighted that he had been served with a deportation order. This matter has been referred to Immigration NZ.

The pair were identified and charged following an extensive investigation by Auckland Council after Mayor Phil Goff announced increased efforts to tackle illegal dumping in Auckland in February last year.

Mayor Phil Goff welcomed the sentence saying, “Today’s sentencing sends a clear message that if you dump illegally, we will catch you and you will pay a high price.

“There is no excuse for illegal dumping. I’m sick of it and so are Aucklanders. We have a stunning natural environment and it deserves better than to be treated like a rubbish-tip by an errant few.



“This case was particularly nasty as the guilty party dumped oil barrels and used oil filters containing oil and toxic chemicals. It was harmful to the environment and the ratepayer had to pick up the bill for disposing of their mess properly.

“Today’s sentencing under the RMA sends a strong message that if you illegally dump we will track you down and throw the book at you. And, where possible, we won’t be seeking a small fine under the Litter Act, we will use the RMA to its full extent to make sure penalties fit the crime and we stop people trashing our city.

“What I would really like to see is offenders like this sentenced to spending their weekends out in the community cleaning up rubbish and litter. That would be a great example of the sentence fitting the crime,” Mayor Goff said.

Steve Pearce, Auckland Council’s Regulatory Compliance Manager, said, “Where we have sufficient evidence, we make sure that offenders are held accountable for the costs of their offending and the reparation award in this case has prevented ratepayers from footing the bill.

“It is relatively uncommon for us to end up in the court and seek a sentence of imprisonment. However, the deliberate nature of this offending and the potential significance of the environmental effects left us with no option,” said Steve Pearce.

In February last year, Mayor Goff announced significant new resources to tackle illegal dumping including an 0800 hotline to report dumpers, additional enforcement staff, doubling the number of surveillance cameras in hotspot areas and accelerating the process to clean up dumped material in public areas.

Since launching the crackdown, prosecutions have doubled and there has been a nearly three-fold increase in Litter Infringement Notices.

Mayor Goff’s Annual Budget agreed by Council this week confirms continued funding for the illegal dumping crackdown of $200,000 for the financial year 2019/20.

Mayor Goff said, “We’ll prosecute illegal dumping cases as hard as we can, but the only way we can catch them is to have the whole community on board. If you see dumped rubbish or someone dumping rubbish, please call 0800 NO DUMP to report it.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

SCOOP COVERAGE: CHRISTCHURCH MOSQUES TERROR ATTACK


Principals Reject Offer: Primary Teachers Vote For Settlement

Primary teachers have voted to ratify a proposed settlement that will give them pay parity with their secondary colleagues, but disappointed primary principals have rejected a settlement that was unchanged from a previously rejected offer.

NZEI Te Riu Roa President Lynda Stuart said the outcome was a big win for teachers, who had campaigned alongside principals for 18 months and held three strike days - including New Zealand's largest ever strike alongside their secondary colleagues. More>>

 
 

Remaking Elections: Call For Four-Year Term, More MPs

A Victoria University report is proposing extending the parliamentary term to four years, and increasing the number of MPs, so politicians can plan better for the future. More>>

ALSO:

Health: Ban On Smoking In Cars With Children Passes First Reading

The Smoke-free Environments Amendment Bill would allow police to issue $50 fines for those smoking with passengers under 18 years of age. More>>

ALSO:

Fair Pay Agreements Good: CTU Releases Report On Sector Bargaining

The Council of Trade Unions has released an independent report conducted by economic research company BERL into the validity of sector bargaining. More>>

ALSO:

Goldsmith New National Finance Spokesperson: Amy Adams To Leave Politics In 2020

Amy Adams has announced she will retire from politics at the 2020 election and as a consequence of that decision she has chosen to stand down from the spokesperson roles she holds in the Party. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Government's Cosmetic Banking Reforms

The elephant in the room as the government carries out its latest bout of tinkerings with our banking practice is the extraordinary level of profit-taking still being extracted by the Australian Banking Gang from ordinary New Zealanders. Yes indeed, ... More>>

ALSO:

IPCA: Offensive Language, Misuse Of Pepper Spray

The Independent Police Conduct Authority has found that, following a pursuit in Auckland, a man was dealt with inappropriately and unprofessionally by a Police officer during his arrest. More>>

ALSO:

Stats NZ: Gender Inclusive Questions Introduced

More than 28,000 New Zealand households will be asked to take part in the upcoming Household Economic Survey. Starting this year, the survey will ask people to describe their gender – whether that is male, female, or if they see themselves another way, such as one of many non-binary genders. More>>

New Report: Are We Listening To Children?

A report released today is a sharp reminder that what children and young people say makes a difference, and that it’s time we paid more attention to their views, says Children’s Commissioner Andrew Becroft. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels