Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Young America Likely To Use Second Boat

by Selwyn Manning

Young America is about to apply to Americas Cup officials to use its back up yacht USA 58 in the remaining round robin 2 races of the cup challenger series.

On Tuesday, the Young America boat USA-53 suffered severe damage when the hull broke open and the deak pealed upward, splitting the yacht USA 53 almost in two.

Under the rules governing the Challenger Series, Young America may apply to substitute boats if there is grave damage.

The New York Yacht Club team, Young America, said this afternoon [New Zealand Time] that it will apply for a measurement certificate to race USA-58.

"We expect to apply to the International Jury today, and to be sailing the second boat by Friday," said Jane Eagleson, spokesperson for the Young America camp.

"Under the rules, we have to forfeit the first race in the new boat. We accept that, and look forward to sailing on Friday.

"We have a lot of work ahead, we've been using the new boat for testing, but we weren't expecting to race it so soon, so there's a lot to do to get ready," Eagleson said today.

Young America's next match is against the Swiss yacht; be hAPpy. If Young America is barred from sailing its back up craft, the Swiss can win that race by sailing the course alone.

The damaged USA 53 will however be repaired in preparation of Round Robin 3.

Repair plans are being drawn up and are due to be sent over by the yacht's designers, led by New Zealander, Bruce Farr.

It appears that the damage, while very grave, is localized to the deck and the hull shell and that none of the important interior structures has been damaged.

Eagleson: "We hope to fix it up so that we can carry on with our two boat testing programme prior to the Semi-Finals of the Louis Vuitton Cup."

Young America has gained a one day reprieve from the weather. Racing is cancelled on Wednesday due to high winds and waves on Auckland's Hauraki Gulf.

Information provided courtesy of www.louisvuittoncup.com

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels