Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Squid Decision Reluctantly Accepted By Industry

Media Release
6/3/2000


SQUID FISHERY DECISION RELUCTANTLY ACCEPTED BY SEAFOOD INDUSTRY

The New Zealand squid industry has reluctantly accepted a decision by Fisheries Minister Peter Hodgson to close down a major squid fishery because of Sealion by-catch.


The Industry was notified that the Minister will close down the fishery in fisheries management area 6T at noon on Wednesday 8th March. The industry is only allowed to accidentally by-catch an estimated 65 sealions before the Minister is obliged to stop the industry from fishing. The Ministry of Fisheries calculated that that the MALFIRM (Maximum Allowable Level of Fisheries Related Mortality) will be reached by Wednesday.


Squid Fishery Management Company chief executive Andrew Branson said the industry had been actively trialing a device, known as a Sealion Escape Device, (SLED), which they were confident was reducing the sealion mortality.

“Sadly these trials will end on Wednesday. However the industry is committed to reducing the level of Sealion by-catch and will endeavour to work with both the Department of Conservation and the Ministry of Fisheries in the future.”


Key Facts

 The Squid Industry is worth, on average, $60 million a year to the New Zealand economy.

 It is one of our top ten most valuable fisheries.


For further information

Contact Squid Fishery Management Company chief executive Andrew Branson 025 356 378 or Squid Company chairman Rob Grant 025 480 141.
Or Seafic Communications Manager Tina Nixon 025 2232789


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>