Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Telecommunications framework a win for consumers

Media statement

Wednesday, 04 October 2000

Telecommunications framework a win for consumers and the industry, says CLEAR

The Ministerial Inquiry into Telecommunications' recommendations for reform are pro-competition and pro-business, says CLEAR Communications.

Corporate Development Director Rhoda Holmes today welcomed the Inquiry's final report, saying its proposed framework for telecommunications would benefit both the industry and its consumers.

"It is a balanced and realistic model that gives us a set of rules and a referee, so all players can get on with the job of competing on an even footing," said Mrs Holmes.

"The Inquiry's research suggests consumers stand to save $328million each year from increased competition. That's a payoff for every business and home in the country, and a marvellous return on a projected $1.5million investment in a commercially-sensitive industry framework."

CLEAR welcomed the Inquiry's focus on light-handed regulation. The proposed model gave the industry plenty of room to settle issues by commercial negotiation, and recommended a lean, low-cost administrative structure.

Also welcome were recommendations that would vastly improve competitive access to the nation's local network. In particular, cost-based interconnection would put downward pressure on retail prices and would pave the way for increased competition.

Mrs Holmes also endorsed the Inquiry's proposal on the deferred designation of number portability, which is a critical facility for any consumer wanting to change suppliers. This proposal would give the industry time to get its house in order, and sent a signal that consumers should not wait forever for true portability.

ENDS

For further information contact Ross Inglis Public Affairs Manager CLEAR Communications Ph: (09) 912 4400 Office Ph: (021) 636 228 Mobile


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>