Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Hospital Lockout Ends

27 February 2001


Union Credits Community Support

Workers at Wellington, Kenepuru and Paraparaumu hospitals will return to work after their employer, Spotless Services agreed to lift lockout notices.

The Service & Food Workers Union says one hundred cleaners, locked out since Monday will return to work Wednesday morning after Spotless lifted its indefinite lockout notice late Tuesday.

Union spokesperson Alastair Duncan says the lifting of the lockout is a victory for the strength of the workforce and community support.

"The high morale on the picket lines and the growing support from within the hospitals and wider community have been critical in bringing this shameful business to an end.

"Now hospital cleaner can resume their work of keeping our public hospitals clean and safe."

On Friday the union will meet with Spotless to resume collective negotiations.

"We will resume negotiations to settle a new collective all the more determined to defend the rights of hospital cleaners to respect and dignity on the job.

For further information telephone Alastair Duncan - 04 494 9962 (direct), or 021 137 4228 (mobile).

Paula Taylor Publicist/Editor Service & Food Workers Union Private Bag 68-914 Newton, Auckland 1032 Tel: 09 375 2683 ext 822 Fax: 09 375 2681


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>