Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Airport Comment On Qantas NZ Cessation Of Service

News Release
April 21 2001

Wellington International Airport comment on Qantas NZ cessation of service

Wellington International Airport understands that Tasman Pacific Airlines Ltd (TPA), operators of Qantas New Zealand ceased to provide services from 10PM last night. This is highly regrettable, both in its disruption to the travelling public, the staff of Qantas New Zealand and for TPA’s creditors.

Wellington International Airport Chairman Mr Phil Walker said he understands that TPA have seen fit to attribute this decision to Wellington International Airport’s notification that landing facilities were to be withdrawn from next Monday. This is in fact incorrect.

On 19 April Wellington International Airport was notified that Qantas Airways was breaking off negotiations to acquire TPA and to protect its position Wellington International Airport made demand for payment of the more than $750,000 that was owed at that time. After extensive discussions WIAL notified TPA at 3PM on Friday that it may withdraw services from Qantas New Zealand from 9.00am on Monday 30 April and that it would announce this on 24 April so as to give the public ample warning to minimise inconvenience.

The fact that Qantas New Zealand has chosen to cease operation from 10PM on Friday 20 April can only be attributed to other factors.

Mr Walker also pointed out that WIAL was never going to stop Qantas New Zealand aircraft landing or taking off. The services to be withdrawn were operational systems including aerobridges, public address systems, check-in counters and baggage systems.

Mr Walker said “important questions need to be asked about why the people behind Qantas NZ failed to give it ongoing support, especially given their announcement that they intended to inject further capital, and their apparent ability to do so.”

Mr Walker said WIAL intended giving advance notice of its decision so as to minimize inconvenience to the travelling public and it was as shocked as anyone else by yesterday’s development. Mr Walker said WIAL was owed amounts in excess of $750,000 by TPA and was now waiting on developments to see what the prospects of payment were.

“The ratepayers of Wellington (WCC owns 34 per cent of WIAL) and the shareholders of Infratil (66 per cent owner of WIAL) should not be required to subsidise the operations of this business and its shareholders”, Mr Walker said.

For further information contact:
Phil Walker Or John Sheridan
Chairman, WIAL Chief Executive, WIAL
0061 418 874 819 (04) 385 5100 / (021) 648 264

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>