Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Combine Harvester Rejected from Entering NZ

Media Statement
For immediate release
April 24 2001

Combine Harvester Rejected from Entering New Zealand

A combine harvester imported from Britain has been rejected from entering New Zealand after it arrived at the Port of Auckland covered in mud, grass, plant material and possible animal waste.

The Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, inspected the harvester on board the ship where it remains. The vessel is due to leave Auckland tonight. (April 23 2001)

Quarantine Services national manager of cargo and vessel clearance John Burton said MAF’s inspection found the harvester was grossly contaminated with a range of risk material that could bring disease and weed seeds to New Zealand.

“It would have been rejected regardless of the Foot and Mouth outbreak in Britain, however this incident demonstrates MAF’s zero tolerance when enforcing our biosecurity controls.

The importer, a rural New Zealander, told MAF under normal circumstances he would have overseen the cleaning of the machinery before it left, but on this occasion he did not, said Mr Burton.

Obviously this rejection will be at a significant cost to the importer, he said.

“The message is clear, New Zealand importers need to ensure their international agents know and adhere to our rules because we will reject any cargo that puts our country at risk”.

During the past year MAF has rejected five large machines imported from Japan and another two from the United Kingdom.


Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Income Equality: Time To Double-Down On Cutting CEO Salaries

With reports of a slow-down in CEO pay rises last year, it’s time for Kiwi corporates to double down on cutting excessive salaries to ensure this is a trend not an accident, said Peter Malcolm, spokesperson for the income equality project Closing the Gap. More>>

Manawatu-Whanganui Projects: PGF Top-Up To Rural Broadband Roll-Out

The government has effectively raided the $3 billion Provincial Growth Fund to top up the budget for the second phase of its rural broadband initiative, filling in mobile 'black spots' and ensuring broadband is available to marae that don't have access now. More>>

ALSO:

Other Windy Cities: Auckland-Chicago Named A Top 10 ‘Most Exciting’ New Route

The inclusion of Auckland-Chicago on Lonely Planet’s Where to fly in 2019? The 10 most exciting new flight routes list comes just two weeks before Air New Zealand prepares to celebrate its inaugural flight to Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport on 30 November. More>>

Deadly Strain: ESR Ups Its Reporting On Meningococcal Disease

The increasing number of cases of Group W Meningococcal disease (MenW) has prompted ESR to increase its reporting on the disease to the Ministry of Health. ESR has upped its reporting to weekly. More>>

ALSO: