Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

New offer gets Herald journos back to work

May 27, 2001


Media Release

New offer gets Herald journos back to work

Striking journalists at the NZ Herald will return to work tomorrow (MOnday) to consider a new offer from the company.

Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union advocate Tony Wilton said that members would cut their current strike short by 24 hours to consider the offer.

“They will return to work at 9am tomorrow,” he said.

“While the new offer does not address the key issue of workers’ right to choose whether they will be covered by the collective agreement or not, the journalists are returning to work as a sign of good faith,” Mr Wilton said.

The company has now offered journalists a three-year deal with a two per cent pay rise each year. Inflation is currently three per cent. It originally offered 1.5 per cent for a one-year deal.

It has also now offered a lump-sum payment of $500 before tax, but has not backed away from its insistence that more than 30 journalists be automatically excluded from coverage by the collective agreement.

“This dispute was never about money,” Mr Wilton said.

“Our members believe that all NZ Herald journalists except senior editorial executives should have the right to choose whether to join the collective agreement. We stand by that, but we are willing to talk.”

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Voluntary Administration: Renaissance Brewing Up For Sale

Renaissance Brewing, the first local company to raise capital through equity crowdfunding, is up for sale after cash flow woes and product management issues led to the appointment of voluntary administrators. More>>

Elsewhere:

Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:

Media Mega Merger: Full Steam Ahead For Appeal

New Zealand's two largest news publishers have confirmed they are committed to pursuing their appeal against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>