Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

NZ Herald Walks For Four Days

Journalists at the NZ Herald are on strike again, this time for four days.

They walked out at 10am this morning over the breakdown in their employment agreement negotiations. They are not expected to return to work before 10am on Saturday.

The journalists are angry that their employer is trying to deny many of them the right to choose to be covered by the collective agreement.

They are also concerned by management’s refusal to guarantee that they won’t be forced to write advertising copy, a move which would contravene the journalists’ code of ethics.

The strike is the fourth by Herald journalists and follows of a 13-hour strike by journalists at the national news agency NZPA on Sunday.

And journalists, printers and other staff at the daily newspapers owned by Rupert Murdoch-controlled INL will take action on Thursday as the company’s shareholders meet in Wellington to discuss the Todd Corporation Sky share transfer.

Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union national secretary Andrew Little said that all three disputes were fundamentally about the same thing – an employee’s right to choose how he or she wants to be represented and for that choice to be respected by the employer.

“What’s going on at all three of these major employers appears to be part of a newspaper industry campaign to undermine the Employment Relations Act,” he said.

“The Government was elected on a platform of industrial relations reform and this is a direct challenge to that.”


Ends


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>