Boat Builders Throw Health Overboard!!!
- Ignorance would appear to be rife in Boat building, with a general lack of education, training and safety precautions being practised. Is it acceptable that while other industries are so vigilant, boat building as an industry is able to poison its members? How is this possible with the current occupational health regulations?
- The average person would not be pleased if their employer was putting their health at risk. So, why does this happen day in and day out in the boat building industry?
- Nearly one third of boat builders suffer from work related illnesses according to an Occupational Health and Safety audit published in the New Zealand Medical Journal. Could this be labelled workplace abuse?
- Workers in the industry are constantly exposed to a variety of chemicals including solvents and epoxy resins (containing isocyanates) which cause neurological and dermatitis conditions. Over 25% of boat builders said they suffered from dermatitis.
- The audit also named boat building as having the third highest number of chronic solvent neurotoxicity cases. Occupational medical specialist, Bill Glass commented on this fact stating “¡KThere can in fact be little reassurance about such a situation given the poor recovery rate from this condition and the consequential damaging effects of such illnesses on the family and on the individual’s own work future.”
- The answer is simple, affordable and morally right! New to New Zealand and Australia, a world class chemical skin protectant is available to those who need it. GLOVES IN A BOTTLE, gives excellent protection against chemical absorption, the possibility of dermatitis, and moisture loss.
- GLOVES IN A BOTTLE is waterproof, non-greasy, non-toxic, biodegradeable and wears of (exfoliates) naturally over 3-4 hours.
- Employers may not be able to change the substances they need to handle in their workplace. They can however, raise the level of care they afford their employees.
- How can they do this? They MUST phone (09) 373-2284 Auckland to learn more about GLOVES IN A BOTTLE¡K¡Ka life raft for the health of boat builders!
RELEASED BY MEDIACOM