Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

DG of Health Proposes Soy Sauce Food Standard


Media Release

4 July, 2001

Director-General of Health Proposes Soy Sauce Food Standard

STANDARDS to ensure the safety of soy sauce are being proposed by the Ministry of Health.

A consultation document on an emergency food standard for soy-based sauces was released today by the Ministry.

Food importers and other people concerned about the presence of potentially cancer-causing chloropropanols in soy-based sauces are being invited to comment on the proposal in documents sent out today, said Dr Bob Boyd, Chief Advisor Public Health.

"We are proposing this standard under the Food Act because excessively high levels of these chemicals were observed in some soy sauce products in the United Kingdom, some of these brands are imported here and some New Zealanders do consume large amounts of these sauces.

"We think consumers should not be exposed to the potential risks any longer than necessary as the presence of these chemicals in foods is avoidable."

An emergency food standard making soy-based sauces prescribed foods was the most practical and effective way of monitoring these foods, Dr Boyd said.

It would require anyone importing, manufacturing, storing, transporting, preparing for sale or selling soy-based sauces to satisfy a Health Protection Officer the products were safe before they could be sold.

To do this, it is proposed products meet a limit of 0.02 mg/kg for the chemical 3-MCPD. This limit is being applied in the United Kingdom at present.

Submissions are required by midday on Monday, July 9. If the emergency food standard goes ahead it will be gazetted and come into force next Thursday, July 13.



Some importers and local manufacturers are assuring the Ministry of Health their products meet the proposed limit. Details of brands that have satisfied the Ministry of this are being posted on the Ministry's website.

ENDS

For more information see our consultation document on the Ministry of Health website www.moh.govt.nz for more information

For further information contact: Anne-Marie Robinson, Media Advisor, ph: 04-496-2067 or 025-802 622 Internet address: http://www.moh.govt.nz/media.html

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Electricity Market: Power Panel Favours Scrapping Low-Fixed Charges

An independent panel reviewing electricity prices favours scrapping the government’s low-user fixed charge regime, banning the use of prompt-payment discounts, and requiring greater disclosure of the profit split between the retail and generation arms of the major power companies. More>>

ALSO:

Bottomless Oil And Zero Climate Cost: Greenpeace Not Big On PEPANZ Gas Ban Report

The NZIER report commissioned by oil industry body, PEPANZ, claims the oil and gas ban issued by the Government last April could cost the the New Zealand economy $28 billion by 2050... But Greenpeace says the figures in the report are based on false assumptions and alternative facts. More>>

ALSO:

Two Queensland Fruit Flies And A Different One In Otara: Devonport Fruit And Veg Lockdown

Work continues at pace on the biosecurity response following the discovery last week of one male Queensland fruit fly in a surveillance trap in the Auckland suburb of Devonport. More>>

ALSO:

Digital Services Tax: Government To Plan Tax On Web Operator Income

New Zealand is to consult on the design of changes to tax rules which currently allow multinational companies in the digital services field to do business here without paying income tax. More>>

ALSO: