Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Sanford Completes Investigation Of Korean Boat


10 July 2001

Sanford Completes Internal Investigation Of Korean Charter Boat

Sanford Limited has confirmed that it has instructed the owners of a fishing vessel operating under contract to the company, Dong Won 519, which is the subject of a Ministry of Fisheries investigation, that the four officers on the vessel have failed to meet company requirements and are, therefore, no longer able to work on vessels chartered to Sanford.

Sanford group managing director, Eric Barratt, says the Korean boat was boarded by Ministry of Fisheries investigators in Cook Strait on the evening of Thursday 28th June and ordered back to port by Ministry of Fisheries Officers.

"On arrival in Timaru the vessel was unloaded and the catch was compared to Company reporting requirements," Mr Barratt said. " At this point in time it is clear that the officers failed to follow company requirements and, on an issue as important as catch reporting, the company is adamant that its requirements must be followed.

"Notice of this action was given to the owners of the vessel in Timaru over the weekend and the vessel will not be allowed back to sea until new officers are employed and fully briefed.

"Since the incident first came to Sanford's attention it has taken the further precaution of rotating its own compliance observer along with an independent observer across all its chartered vessels at sea. As a result of these inquiries, Sanford is confident that they are correctly following our and the Ministry requirements. "

Mr Barratt said that for a number of years now complete and thorough checks of vessel landings and unloadings had been in place and this would continue.

"Sanford will also ensure that all catch taken by the Dong Won 519 will be correctly reported in accordance with legal requirements to protect the integrity of the quota system and the fishing quota rights held by other New Zealand companies and fishermen."

He added that Sanford was precluded from releasing further details of the incident while the Ministry of Fisheries investigations and interviews are continuing, therefore he would be unable to make any further comments at this time.

-ends-

For more information on Sanford please visit www.sanford.co.nz


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

ScoopPro: Helping PR Professionals Get More Out Of Scoop

Scoop.co.nz has been a fixture of New Zealand’s news and Public Relations infrastructure for over 18 years. However, without the financial assistance of those using Scoop in a professional context in key sectors such as Public Relations and media, Scoop will not be able to continue this service... More>>

Insurance: 2017 Worst Year On Record For Weather-Related Losses

The Insurance Council of New Zealand (ICNZ) announced today that 2017 has been the most expensive year on record for weather-related losses, with a total insured-losses value of more than $242 million. More>>

ALSO:

Crown Accounts: Govt Books In Line With Forecasts

The Government’s financial statements for the four months to 31 October indicate the books are tracking along with Treasury’s Budget forecasts, Finance Minister Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Expert Reaction: Ross Sea Region Marine Protected Area In Force

Sweeping new protections for Antarctica's Ross Sea will come into effect on Friday 1 December. After five years of debate, the marine protected area (MPA) was agreed in 2016 after a joint proposal by New Zealand and the United States... More>>

ALSO: