Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Electricity campaign won’t reduce prices

MAJOR ELECTRICITY USERS' GROUP


Friday, 27 July 2001

For immediate release

Electricity campaign won’t reduce prices


A Government campaign to encourage lower electricity use has been welcomed by the Major Electricity Users Group (MEUG), but it says the campaign will not immediately do anything about the extraordinarily high prices currently harming the economy.

Terrence Currie, Chairman of MEUG, said a conservation campaign was only one part of the answer to reduce the crisis, which was a combination of low hydro inflows, high prices and an uncompetitive market.

“This is a crisis that won’t be fixed just by conservation – we need the government and energy industry to manage the market to ration power at a price everyone can afford.

“We are looking forward to the second summit on Tuesday to address these remaining issues,” Mr Currie said.

He said high prices and lack of competition has already cost the economy many millions of dollars.

“Some generators have been making huge profits at the expense of New Zealand businesses, and the electricity retailers who do not have enough supply.

“Even if a conservation campaign works, we will emerge from this crisis with a discredited wholesale electricity market. Consumers once again have been traded as chattels.

“The Government must ensure that there is an urgent review of the electricity markets performance,” Mr Currie said.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>