Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Less Is Best At 2001 Liquorland Top 100

Monday, 03 September 2001

Less Is Best At 2001 Liquorland Top 100 International Wine Competition

The theory that less is best is proving to be true at the 2001 Liquorland Top 100 International Wine Competition.

Chief judge and Master of Wine, Bob Campbell, says indications are that while the quantity of wines entered this year is slightly less, the quality - particularly of the new vintage sauvignon blanc’s - is very good.

“The Liquorland Top 100 International Wine Competition is the first major event of the year that evaluates wines from the 2001 vintage,” he explains. “We had anticipated slightly less entries this year because of difficult growing conditions in areas such as Hawkes Bay. But the positive side is that 2001 is shaping up to be a great vintage with early reports of a considerable number of gold medals awarded in the sauvignon blanc class from across the country including some of the newer wine regions.”

A panel of senior and associate judges began assessing the 22 categories of local and international wines on Tuesday 28th August at North Harbour Stadium, Albany. They have until Thursday 30th August to complete their task and award either gold, silver or bronze awards as well as trophies for each class.

Among the panel of judges are Masters of Wine, Steve Smith and Jane Skilton and wine author Michael Cooper. This year’s guest international judge is Brian Walsh of the Yalumba Wine Company in Australia.

The 2001 Liquorland Top 100 International Wine Award winners will be announced at a special dinner on Thursday, 4 October at Mikano Restaurant, Auckland. A special pocket guidebook for wine lovers listing all the medal winners also goes on sale nation-wide from Friday, 5 October 2001.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>