Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Edison Mission Energy To Seek 100% Of Contact

For immediate release
Friday 12 October, 2001


Edison Mission Energy To Seek 100 Percent Of Contact

Edison Mission Energy, the owner of 51% of Contact Energy Ltd, has today announced its intention to offer $3.85 a share for the remaining shares in the company, at a total cost of approximately $1.08 billion.

“We believe $3.85 is a full and fair price, providing shareholders with a very good return and making it attractive for them to sell,” Robert Driscoll, Edison Mission Energy’s Asia Pacific Senior Vice President, said in Wellington today.

“For people that invested in Contact at the float in 1999, the offer represents a total return of 35% on the listing price of $3.10, including dividends paid by Contact. It is 40 cents above Contact’s share price at yesterday’s close.

“Independent directors of Contact Energy will now consider our offer and appoint an independent adviser to report to them on it. It is our hope their evaluation of our offer will be able to be sent to shareholders with our formal offer by early November. Shareholders will only have to November 30 to consider our offer, along with the independent directors’ evaluation, and respond to it. Our aim is for the offer to be completed and for shareholders to be paid by mid-December.

“We make long-term commitments to the countries in which we operate,” Mr Driscoll said. “We thoroughly assessed the country’s political, economic and commercial characteristics.

“EME is confident that New Zealand’s political and economic climate, environmental policy and regulatory regime for the electricity industry are positive for long-term investment and we are confident Contact will continue to be a top-performing company.”

Mr Driscoll said that Contact’s customers would notice very little change, with Edison Mission Energy being committed to offering them the best possible pricing and service to ensure real competition in the electricity and gas markets.

END


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>