Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Government Recognises Value Of Apprenticeships

For further information:

Jill Ovens

National President

Association of Staff in Tertiary Education

ASTE Te Hau Takitini o Aotearoa

(04) 801 5098 or (027) 4424 809


Government Recognises Value Of Apprenticeships

The expansion of Modern Apprenticeships announced in today’s Budget confirms the high regard New Zealanders have for the concept of apprenticeships, says the union that represents polytechnic trades tutors.

ASTE National President Jill Ovens says her union congratulates the Government on its commitment to providing opportunities for young people to access work-based education.

“The traditional apprenticeship was based on a combination of on-job training and off-job training at the local polytechnic. It has always been our view that the two are complementary,” Ms Ovens says.

The Labour-Alliance Government plans to allocate more than $41 million to increase the number of modern apprentices from the current 2500 to 6000 by December 2003.

Key to the programme are Modern Apprenticeships co-ordinators whose role is to provide young people with a mentor to guide, encourage and see them through to completion.

Ms Ovens says this system harks back to the days when tradesmen saw it as their duty not only to pass their skills on to the next generation, but also to pass on the trades “culture”.

“It was more than ‘training’; it was about the passage of a young person into the adult world.”

The union also welcomes the $14 million increase over the next four years in the Industry Training Fund.

This funding will provide for growth in demand arising from recent industry training reforms, including higher level training that will raise workers’ skill levels.

“We are pleased that this Government recognises the contribution of industry training to the development of a knowledge economy. It’s not all about high-tech research,” Ms Ovens says.

The Government contributes 70% of the cost of industry training and industries pick up the remaining 30%.

-end-


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Watch This Space: Mahia Rocket Lab Launch Site Officially Opened

Economic Development Minster Steven Joyce today opened New Zealand’s first orbital launch site, Rocket Lab Launch Complex 1, on the Mahia Peninsula on the North Island’s east coast. More>>

Earlier:

Marketing Rocks!
Ig Nobel Award Winners Assess The Personality Of Rocks

A Massey University marketing lecturer has received the 2016 Ig Nobel Prize for economics for a research project that asked university students to describe the “brand personalities” of three rocks. More>>

ALSO:

Nurofen Promotion: Reckitt Benckiser To Plead Guilty To Misleading Ads

Reckitt Benckiser (New Zealand) intends to plead guilty to charges of misleading consumers over the way it promoted a range of Nurofen products, the Commerce Commission says. More>>

ALSO:

Half A Billion Accounts, Including Xtra: Yahoo Confirms Huge Data Breach

The account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (the vast majority with bcrypt) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers. More>>

ALSO:

Rural Branches: Westpac To Close 19 Branches, ANZ Looks At 7

Westpac confirms it will close nineteen branches across the country; ANZ closes its Ngaruawahia branch and is consulting on plans to close six more branches; The bank workers union says many of its members are nervous about their futures and asking ... More>>

Interest Rates: RBNZ's Wheeler Keeps OCR At 2%

Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler kept the official cash rate at 2 percent and said more easing will be needed to get inflation back within the target band. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news