Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Post Mortem

July 3, 2002

Workers at the Evening Post are making sure that the paper goes out in style.

Their union, the EPMU, is organising a public commemoration on Saturday (July 6) for the 137-year-old paper.

Billed as a Post Mortem, the event will start at noon with Evening Post workers marching from Press House to Wellington’s Civic Square after the paper has gone to bed for the last time.

There will be speeches and bands (including the Evening Post Onslow Brass Band) at the square. Printers will bring the last copies of the paper in from the Petone printing hall.

Union national secretary Andrew Little said that the union couldn’t let the Post pass into history unnoticed.

“We’ve been representing workers at the Evening Post since the 1870s,” he said. “We’re proud of the work done by the men, women and children who have dedicated their lives to telling Wellington’s story. This is a chance for everyone in Wellington to turn out and say thank you, and to take part in a piece of history.”

Meanwhile, those Evening Post workers taking voluntary redundancy will finish at the end of the week.

Mr Little said that the company had accepted that voluntary redundancies should be called for across the Dominion and the Post.

All other workers will be kept on for another two to four weeks, until the company decides who will have jobs on the Dominion Post. Up to 90 jobs are expected to be lost – 60 of them journalists.

Union members on both newspapers are covered by a redundancy clause. Mr Little said that the company had agreed to pay paper boys and girls two weeks’ redundancy and would give them a gift voucher.

Ends

PLEASE NOTE: THERE WILL BE AN INDUSTRY-ONLY BASH AT THE WELLINGTON WORKINGMEN’S CLUB, CUBA ST, FROM 2PM ON SATURDAY. ANYONE IN THE INDUSTRY WHO WANTS TO FAREWELL THE POST AND SUPPORT COLLEAGUES IS WELCOME.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>