Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Protect Us From Company Collapses - Workers

July 16, 2002

Protect Us From Company Collapses - Workers


Workers are calling for a fund to be established to protect their money when companies collapse.

Delegates at the EPMU’s biennial conference in Rotorua say that they want a system similar to the Australian National Entitlement Security Trust to be set up here.

Earlier in the day they had heard that many of the 1000 workers who lost their jobs when Qantas New Zealand collapsed last year are still waiting for much of the money they are owed.

Speakers from the Australian Manufacturing Union said that the Nest scheme they established had protected their members from this situation.

Under the scheme, employers pay into the non-profit making trust to cover workers’ entitlements in the event of a company collapse. Liabilities covered include annual leave, long service leave, sick leave, paid parental leave and redundancy payments. The trust covers the manufacturing, fabrication, printing, packaging, community sector, childcare and labour hire industries.

EPMU national secretary Andrew Little said that it was vital that New Zealand workers have a similar protection. The union would take the issue up with Labour Minister Margaret Wilson when she spoke to the conference tomorrow.

Ends

Note: the visitors from the AMWU and Nest are in New Zealand until lunchtime tomorrow.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>