Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

CHH Profit Means No Case For Job Cuts

July 17, 2002

CHH Profit Means No Case For Job Cuts


Carter Holt Harvey’s announcement of a $73 million profit further undermines its case for sacking half the workforce at the Kinleith pulp and paper mill, their union says.

EPMU national secretary Andrew Little said that the half-year result, announced today, was good news for the company that recorded a $15 million loss for the same period last year.

“Pulp prices are getting better, and this undermines any justification for the radical changes being proposed at Kinleith,” he said.

Mr Little said that the proposed changes, in which nearly 400 workers would lose their jobs and maintenance would be contracted to an outside company, would not make the mill any more competitive or sustainable.

“The company announced its plans at a time when pulp prices were low and its claims could look justifiable on paper,” he said.

“But the nature of the market they are in is cyclical and they are now on the upward swing of the cycle.

“The real challenge for the company is to work with the existing workforce to improve the mill’s productivity. This is achievable and we remain keen to co-operate with the company to do this,” Mr Little said.

Meanwhile, the Employment Court will on Monday begin hearing an appeal by the union against an Employment Tribunal ruling over the proposed Kinleith job losses. The union wants the company to be ordered to properly consult the workforce over its intentions.

Ends

Note: The Employment Court hearing will be held in Auckland at the Countrywide Building in Queen St. It begins at 9.30am on Monday and is scheduled to go for at least four days.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>