Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Employers want Kinleith workers

October 21, 2002

Media Release

Employers want Kinleith workers

Employers are keen to snap up workers facing possible redundancy from the Kinleith pulp and paper mill.

EPMU advocate Mike Sweeney said that at least two dozen employers had contacted him within a week of the workers advertising their skills nationally.

Mill owner Carter Holt Harvey wants to get rid of 390 people (nearly half the mill’s workforce) and replace them with contractors.

The Employment Court ordered the company to consult the workers and their unions before making any decisions about redundancies. Those discussions continue this week, but meanwhile, the workers are keen to know what other jobs might be out there.

Mr Sweeney said that inquiries had come from a wide range of industries all over the country, but there was particular interest from the food manufacturing industry and contractors in Southland and Otago, who were looking for electricians and electronics trades people.

“This country has a severe shortage of skilled workers, as shown in the latest BNZ survey on the difficulty employers are having recruiting and keeping staff,” he said.

“The Kinleith workforce is highly-skilled and motivated, and I’m not surprised that so many employers are interested in those people.”


Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>