Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Senior Doctors Propose Arbitration As Alternative

ATTENTION: HEALTH REPORTER NO. OF PAGES: 1

MEDIA STATEMENT FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE,
FRIDAY 22 NOVEMBER 2002

“South Canterbury Senior Doctors Propose Arbitration As Alternative For Strike Action”

“Senior doctors would prefer that the breakdown in collective agreement negotiations with the South Canterbury District Health Board was referred to independent arbitration rather than being compelled to take strike action,” said Mr Ian Powell, Executive Director of the Association of Salaried Medical Specialists, today.

“Our stopwork meeting earlier this month authorised us to develop a strike action proposal if there was no other option. But the clear preference was to see the dispute resolved by arbitration if possible. However, we can only go to arbitration if the South Canterbury DHB agrees. We have written to the DHB recommending this approach.”

“We will be meeting management next Wednesday 27 November with a mediator in yet another attempt to resolve the dispute which is largely about the onerous after-hours emergency rosters that senior doctors are forced to work with minimal staffing support.”

“If we can’t resolve it by mediation then independent arbitration would be a much better and more responsible option than strike action,” concluded Mr Powell.


Ian Powell

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>