Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Hugh Wrights “Receivership” Sale misleading


Commission sends warning to clothing retailer: Hugh Wrights “Receivership” Sale misleading

The Commerce Commission has sent a warning to clothing retailer HW Munns Limited following advertising of a Hugh Wrights Receivership Sale.

The advertising, which stated “Hugh Wrights Receivership Sale – The Receiver has released more stock, Willis Street Store Only” appeared in Wellington’s Dominion Post newspaper earlier this month. In addition HW Munns has advertised the receivership sale on radio.

A Commission investigation revealed that HW Munns had purchased all of Hugh Wright’s clothing stock from the receiver prior to offering it for sale. It also purchased stock from Hugh Wright’s suppliers, which had not arrived at the stores before the company was put into receivership, and supplemented this with stock from HW Munns’ Christchurch store. The stock now being offered for sale is no longer part of the receivership process and to refer to it as such is misleading.

Director of Fair Trading Deborah Battell said the Commission has sent a warning letter to HW Munns advising the company to immediately stop advertising its sale as a ‘receivership sale’ or risk breaching the Fair Trading Act.

“Consumers are entitled to know that, strictly speaking, this is not a receivership sale. HW Munns bought the stock and the proceeds of the sale are not going to the receiver,” she said.

Background

HW Munns was given the right to use the name Hugh Wright’s on three of its stores – in Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch – and to lease the Hugh Wright’s premises until after Christmas, having purchased all of Hugh Wright’s stock from the receiver.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

OceanaGold: Man Killed In Waihi Mine Accident

A 29-year-old man had died following a work place accident at OceanaGold mine, Waihi last night. The man was killed after the front end loader he was in rolled down a slope. The accident happened at approximately 6.30pm on Thursday night. More>>

ALSO:

Constructing Consent: Annual Housing Consents Highest In Over A Decade

More than 29,000 new homes gained building consent in the year to June 2016, up 16 percent from the previous June year, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

War Against Weevil For Future Peas: “No Peas, No Weevil” Ban Now In Place In Wairarapa

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has today placed a ban on growing peas within a specified area and placed controls on moving pea material (seed and untreated pea straw) within, in and out of this area for the next 2 years. More>>

ALSO:

Wood Producers: Crisis In New Zealand Log Supply

New Zealand wood processing leaders held a hui with senior government officials and political leaders in Whangarei yesterday to assess the acute log supply shortage to local mills in Northland. More>>

Consents And Taxes: Trustpower 'Very Disappointed' With Judgement

Trustpower is "very disappointed" with a Supreme Court ruling dismissing its bid to claim tax deductions on $17.7 million of project costs in a case closely watched by large-scale infrastructure developers. More>>

ALSO:

Fruitful Endeavours: Kiwifruit Exports Reach Record Levels

In June 2016, kiwifruit exports rose $105 million (47 percent) from June 2015 to reach $331 million, Statistics New Zealand said today. Overall, goods exports rose $109 million (2.6 percent) in June 2016 (to $4.3 billion). More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news