Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

New Proposal For Future Management Of Varroa

Friday 13 December 2002

NEW PROPOSAL FOR FUTURE MANAGEMENT OF VARROA

Public submissions are being sought to help decide the future of varroa control in New Zealand - including measures needed to keep the South Island free of the bee mite.

A Varroa Planning Group made up of MAF, local government, and a range of primary industry groups have been examining the options for long-term varroa management. The Group has proposed the development of a National Pest Management Strategy with the objective of keeping the South Island free of varroa.

“The discussion document released today is designed to set out how a national strategy might be implemented, ,” said MAF’s Varroa Programme Coordinator, Paul Bolger.

“The Varroa Planning Group agrees that an industry collective should be formed to manage the strategy. We will now consult more widely on the Group’s work to date by calling for written submissions by 28 February 2003 and by holding a series of public meetings.

It has been estimated that specific measures to keep the South Island free of varroa would cost approximately $700,000 per year. The principal measures suggested are continuation of current movement controls, public awareness activities, and intensive surveillance for varroa in the South Island.

- The Varroa Planning Group’s Pest Management Strategy discussion document is available at www.maf.govt.nz/varroa

- Schedule Of Public Meetings In Jan-Feb 2003 (see website for more details)

North Island: Gisborne, 10 Feb; Wairoa, 11 Feb; Hasting, 11 Feb; Dannevirke, 12 Feb; Masterton, 12 Feb.

South Island: Ashburton, 27 Jan; Timaru, 27 Jan; Alexandra, 28 Jan; Gore, 28 Jan; Mosgiel, 29 Jan; Blenheim, 3 Feb; Nelson, 3 Feb; Greymouth, 4 Feb; Rangiora, 5 Feb.

For further information contact:

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>