Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Meridian Energy to reimburse misled customers

Meridian Energy to reimburse misled customers

Meridian Energy Limited has admitted breaching the Fair Trading Act in a letter sent to customers notifying them of changes in tariffs, and has agreed, in a settlement with the Commerce Commission, to compensate affected customers. It will also make a pubic apology to both Network Tasman and its customers.

Meridian Energy sent a letter to customers in the Network Tasman region in August 2001, which incorrectly implied to some customers that their tariff rates would increase due to a corresponding increase in charges by the local network company, Network Tasman Limited. Network Tasman had in fact reduced its rates by an average of 5%.

The tariff increase affected 175 of Meridian Energy’s customers who were previously on a special promotional rate. The reason for the increase was because the promotional period had expired.

Commission Chair John Belgrave said that in the settlement with the Commission, Meridian Energy had agreed to send an apology letter to the affected customers and to provide compensation. He said up to 119 customers will receive a rebate of between $30 to $50.

“Meridian Energy not only made a misleading representation to its customers, but may well have caused damage to Network Tasman’s reputation by inferring that it was responsible for the price increases”, said Mr Belgrave.

“By obscuring the real reason for the price increases, some customers may have been discouraged from reassessing their choice of electricity retailer”, he added.

Meridian's public apology notice will appear in the Christchurch Press and Nelson Evening Mail on Friday 31 January 2003.

Background In April this year, Meridian Energy was fined $12,000 plus costs in the Invercargill District Court for six breaches of the Fair Trading Act in relation to an offer to Comalco employees in December 1999.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>