Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Venter Announces Acquisition Of Survival Apparel


Venter Announces Acquisition Of Survival Apparel

Outdoor equipment and apparel company Arthur Ellis Limited today announced the purchase of Survival Apparel (Thursday 8 May 2003).

Arthur Ellis, headed by apparel entrepreneur Hugo Venter, owns and manages well known brands such as Fairydown Bedware, Fairydown Adventure, Columbia Sportswear and The Great Outdoors.

Christchurch-based Survival Apparel specialises in 100% merino and thermal base products for the outdoor clothing market, with its Everwarm brand the largest thermal brand in New Zealand outdoor retail.

Arthur Ellis managing director, Hugo Venter, says the acquisition of Survival Apparel opens up a number of opportunities for the company.

"Currently 60% of Survival's turnover is from exports, providing us with considerable opportunities for exposure overseas for our other brands. As well, Survival's products are complementary to our own product ranges," Venter says.

Established in Christchurch in 1985 and owned by managing director Mary Devine and Terry Iggo, Survival Apparel's turnover has doubled in the last three years. Key offshore markets include Japan, Australia, UK, Canada and Chile.

The purchase of Survival Apparel fits well with Venter's vision for Arthur Ellis. "Our objective has always been to achieve growth organically and through acquisition. We are doing well with organic growth and are beginning to achieve our goals in this area.

"The purchase of Survival Apparel provides us with expertise in merino wool and opens up a significant opportunity in the export market for the Survival Merino brand, particularly in the UK and Japan," Venter says.

Survival has recently secured direct distribution into Australia for winter 2003 and Venter says the superfine merino market for outdoor clothing is in a growth phase globally. "Survival Merino is well poised to capitalise on this."

Mary Devine will take a key executive role within Arthur Ellis, which is also hoping to involve Terry Iggo in its business. "We are thrilled to have people of Mary's calibre on board to provide additional expertise and continue to drive growth," Venter says.

Mary Devine was previously with Canterbury International, managing international and marketing and design divisions. Terry Iggo was chairman and managing director of LWR Industries throughout the 90s.

Hugo Venter bought 40% of Arthur Ellis Limited in October last year, with the remaining 60% owned by AMP Henderson Global Investors' Private Capital Fund. One of New Zealand's oldest companies, Arthur Ellis' annual turnover is $50 million.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Mycoplasma Bovis: More Properties Positive

One of the latest infected properties is in the Hastings district, the other three are within a farming enterprise in Winton. The suspect property is near Ashburton. More>>

ALSO:

Manawatū Gorge Alternative: More Work Needed To Choose Route

“We are currently working closely and in partnership with local councils and other stakeholders to make the right long-term decision. It’s vital we have strong support on the new route as it will represent a very significant long-term investment and it will need to serve the region and the country for decades to come.” More>>

ALSO:

RBNZ: Super Fund Chief To Be New Reserve Bank Governor

Adrian Orr has been appointed as Reserve Bank Governor effective from 27 March 2018, Finance Minister Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

ScoopPro: Helping PR Professionals Get More Out Of Scoop

Scoop.co.nz has been a fixture of New Zealand’s news and Public Relations infrastructure for over 18 years. However, without the financial assistance of those using Scoop in a professional context in key sectors such as Public Relations and media, Scoop will not be able to continue this service... More>>

Insurance: 2017 Worst Year On Record For Weather-Related Losses

The Insurance Council of New Zealand (ICNZ) announced today that 2017 has been the most expensive year on record for weather-related losses, with a total insured-losses value of more than $242 million. More>>

ALSO: