Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Youth have one month left for a NESCAFÉ Big Break

Ambitious NZ youth have one month left to get their NESCAFÉ Big Break

The chance to a share in a quarter of a million dollars has grabbed young New Zealanders' attention and entries for the 2003 NESCAFÉ Big Break programme are flooding in.

Any young person in New Zealand and Australia aged 16 to 24 years with an innovative idea or special talent is urged to enter online on the NESCAFÉ Big Break website http://www.nescafebigbreak.co.nz/ before Friday July 11 2003 when entries close.

Last year 17 year old Hamish Williams of Palmerston North won AUD$20,000. A hydroponic lettuce grower, Hamish entered NESCAFÉ Big Break hoping to expand his already successful business Fresh n' Fancy.

Starting from his garage at home Hamish grew a variety of lettuces and just couldn't keep up with the demand. He then relocated and leased a 'Tunnel House' where he now grows 1600 lettuces per week.

"NESCAFÉ Big Break is about giving young people a helping hand to reach their dreams - it's not designed to be a high achievement award. The 'Big Break' is about letting youth have the freedom to choose their own path, and providing them with some money to chase those goals," says Hamish, who was very grateful for his NESCAFÉ Big Break.

"With the money I won I have doubled what I was growing - and I still can't meet the demand!"

Hundreds of entries have been received from ambitious young people - sportspeople to inventors, clothing designers to agriculturalists, detailing a huge range of ideas and dreams.

Those chasing a NESCAFÉ Big Break can enter in one of two age categories, 16 to 19 year olds and 20 to 24 year olds. Six winners from each category will each receive AUD$20,000 and four runner-up winners will each receive AUD$2000.

In August 400 semi-finalists (200 from each age category) will be selected and asked to submit further details about their entry in order to become a winner. Twenty winners will then be chosen (10 from each age category) and flown to Sydney in October to present their ideas to a judging panel comprising NESCAFÉ Big Break past winners.

Entry forms are now available online at http://www.nescafebigbreak.co.nz/ or by calling the hotline on 0800 430 043.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Mycoplasma Bovis: More Properties Positive

One of the latest infected properties is in the Hastings district, the other three are within a farming enterprise in Winton. The suspect property is near Ashburton. More>>

ALSO:

Manawatū Gorge Alternative: More Work Needed To Choose Route

“We are currently working closely and in partnership with local councils and other stakeholders to make the right long-term decision. It’s vital we have strong support on the new route as it will represent a very significant long-term investment and it will need to serve the region and the country for decades to come.” More>>

ALSO:

RBNZ: Super Fund Chief To Be New Reserve Bank Governor

Adrian Orr has been appointed as Reserve Bank Governor effective from 27 March 2018, Finance Minister Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

ScoopPro: Helping PR Professionals Get More Out Of Scoop

Scoop.co.nz has been a fixture of New Zealand’s news and Public Relations infrastructure for over 18 years. However, without the financial assistance of those using Scoop in a professional context in key sectors such as Public Relations and media, Scoop will not be able to continue this service... More>>

Insurance: 2017 Worst Year On Record For Weather-Related Losses

The Insurance Council of New Zealand (ICNZ) announced today that 2017 has been the most expensive year on record for weather-related losses, with a total insured-losses value of more than $242 million. More>>

ALSO: