Chelsea Sugar signs on as Awards exporting sponsor
Chelsea Sugar signs on as
Awards exporting sponsor
One of the North Shore’s best known businesses – New Zealand Sugar Company - has signed on as sponsor of the Chelsea Sugar Excellence in Exporting category of the prestigious Westpac Enterprise North Shore Business Excellence Awards 2003.
Chelsea Sugar, a household name for generations of New Zealanders, is the cornerstone brand of the New Zealand Sugar Company which has been exporting since 1986. Today, the company exports approximately $50 million worth of product to Australia, the Pacific Islands and Asia with exports accounting for around 25 percent of New Zealand Sugar Company’s business.
General manager Bernard Duignan says the company chose to sponsor the exporting award because it was familiar with the challenges of exporting and wanted to support and encourage North Shore businesses to export their products.
“The award is consistent with our own export growth over the past 17 years and it gives us a great opportunity to be further involved in the North Shore business community.”
The Chelsea Refinery is based at the company’s original Birkenhead site. The company, which employs 180 staff, also has a blending plant in Glenfield and a facility in Christchurch.
The Chelsea Sugar Excellence in Exporting Award will recognise a business that has demonstrated outstanding export achievements and shown sustainable growth and results. The winning business will have a successful customer-focused export strategy and have made an outstanding contribution to the North Shore economy.
Chelsea Sugar joins 11 other category sponsors in North Shore’s premiere business awards which celebrate outstanding performance and contribution to the North Shore’s economic development.
The 12 categories are:
- North Shore Times Advertiser Community Contribution Award
- A.C. Blackmore Excellence in Service Delivery Award
- Tertiary Education Commission Excellence in Workplace Training Award
- Actionmail & Alliance Construction Excellence in Marketing Award
- Chelsea Sugar Excellence in Exporting Award
- Massey University Excellence in Technology Award
- 3M Excellence in Innovation Award
- Telecom Local Directories Best Emerging Business Award
- TMP/Hudson Global Resources Employer of Choice Award
- North Shore City Council Excellence in Tourism Award
- Smales Farm Excellence in Environmental Management Award
- ACC ThinkSafe Workplace Safety Award.
Entries to the Westpac Enterprise North Shore Business Excellence Awards closed on Thursday (June 19). The winners will be announced at a Gala Dinner at the Bruce Mason Centre in Takapuna on August 28. All category winners become eligible for the ultimate business accolade - the 2003 Westpac Supreme Business Excellence Award.
Further details on the awards are at http://www.enterprisens.org.nz