Million Dollar Sale for Browns Bay Section
Million Dollar Sale for Landmark Browns Bay Section
would have to be the most desirable piece of land in Browns
Bay sold at auction under the hammer on Saturday 5 July to
spirited bidding after being left bare for 80
· With five serious bidders of mainly developers on the day, the auction began at $500,000 with the final price of $1.2 million reached. Harcourts Albany Sales Consultant, Janet Ellwood who marketed the property said, “The streets nearby were packed with cars and around 100 people stood in the rain to watch and participate in the proceedings.”
· The 2833sqm section in the quiet Firth Road cul de sac enjoys stunning 180-degree views across the Hauraki Gulf to Rangitoto Island, right round to Auckland City and the Skytower. It is zoned 2B, which allows for subdivision into 600sqm sites.
· The section has remained bare since it first came into existence 80 years ago. The original owners, the Bethel family (whose name was used for nearby Bethel Beach) had it for the first 20 years until they sold it to the LeQuesne family where it has remained untouched for the last 60 years.
· A well known property throughout Browns Bay, Ms Ellwood said, “Practically everyone in the neighbourhood was interested because this glorious piece of land, high on a hill with a predominantly level site, has in everyone’s living memory just sat. The owner must have seen the obvious potential of this divine locality high above Browns Bay and within a few minutes’ walk to the sea and shopping.”
· The owner had fielded calls from real estate consultants and keen buyers for many years, until finally deciding to list the section with Ms Ellwood last month after Ms Ellwood successfully marketed an adjacent property.