Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Meridian backs improvements in national grid

Media Release For immediate release: Thursday August 28, 2003

Meridian Energy backs calls for improvements in national grid

Meridian Energy chief executive Keith Turner is adding his voice to calls for planning processes that would smooth the way for more investment in New Zealand¹s national grid.

Dr Turner¹s comments follow a statement by his Transpower counterpart Dr Ralph Craven, that mechanisms could be put in place to streamline planning processes to enable more investment in the national grid.

"The country has been served very well by the 220kv transmission system we have in place at the moment, but there has been no significant investment in that system for many years."

Dr Turner says recent events in North America have served as a reminder of what can happen when security of supply is threatened by failures in vital infrastructure.

"The New York blackout shows how critical a reliable electricity supply is to everyday life. It¹s clear that demands on that grid have grown rapidly, but there have been no improvements in infrastructure to meet them.

"As the events of autumn 2003 in this country have demonstrated, security of electricity supply is paramount for New Zealand.

"Electricity makes our lives safer, healthier and more convenient, and we cannot afford to have this threatened by a lack of investment in vital electricity infrastructure."

"We should not forget that several years ago, California was almost brought to a standstill because its planning processes had effectively cut off new investment. We would be foolish to let that happen here, and I am delighted to see that the management of Transpower are looking at ways in which planning processes in this country can be improved to expedite improvements in our national grid."

Dr Turner says streamlining of planning processes could be done without compromising the principles of the Resource Management Act.

[ends]

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>