Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

$6 Million Upgrade for Auckland Convention Centre

$6 Million Upgrade for Auckland Convention Centre at THE EDGE® set to begin

The $6 million refurbishment of THE EDGE® key convention facilities at the Aotea Centre begins in two weeks.

From Monday 24 November the Aotea Centre’s convention facilities will be closed while it undergoes its first major upgrade since the centre was completed in 1990.

The refurbishment is expected to take almost six months and the new convention centre will open in mid-2004 with increased floor space and greater flexibility.

THE EDGE® has been working closely with key contractors, Jasmax and Aspec, to develop plans for up-to-date flexible convention facilities within a limited budget and tight timeframe.

The new-look Aotea Centre will be exceptionally flexible with 11 breakout rooms on three levels which can be merged to suit individual client needs. The rooms will be suitable for all conference needs including plenary sessions, breakout sessions, cocktail functions and banquets.

THE EDGE® property manager Suzanne Webb says there have been a number of challenges which have needed creative solutions. These include dealing with the water fountain area, creating a new floor and maintaining reasonable ceiling heights in the upper level, building a new staircase and dealing with the operable wall system.

The upgraded Aotea Centre will be ideal for conventions for about 1200 delegates. THE EDGE® believes Auckland still needs a purpose built convention centre with sufficient exhibition and banquet space if Auckland is to attract international conventions of more than 2000 delegates.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>